Optima Battery Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Optima Battery Problem

Metallman56
01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
my optima battery (red top) is about to die. i know this cause this morning it wouldnt start when i tried to go to work. however, as long as i start my car about once every 24 hours, it will hold enough of a charge to start the car.

so needless to say im starting to looking into getting a new battery. heres where the problem lies. as far as i can tell optima doesnt make a battery that will fit in my 01 gt. im sure at this point some of you are saying, well just dont get an optima. here is the problem with that, besides the fact that i like my battery. because of my car audio, i've got my system power going through the top battery post. so in other words, i need a dual post battery, and the only onw i know of for a reasonable price is the one i have, that i guess they dont make anymore.

so i guess i have a couple of options. first, does anyone know of any dual post batterys that fit a 01 gt, and doesnt suck, with dual posts? cause i cant seem to find one online. my second option is to take my battery in, and buy anther optima thats close to size. then modify my battery box to accept the bigger battery, or smaller battery. has anyone done this?

any help or suggestions or information for that matter would be helpful to say the least.

thanks guys.

SSRacer
01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I've got an Optima Yellowtop in mine. I had to trim the sides of the battery tray for it to fit, but no problems.

Metallman56
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
awesome news. is there anyway you can look at what model your yellow top is?

SSRacer
01-18-2010, 10:45 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3516610555_3d778b052b_b.jpg

Part No: D34-78
Model No: 3478DT

Just trim the lip off the sides of the battery tray so that it will sit all the way in and then the factory hold down will work.

Metallman56
01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
lol that will work. thanks man.

K WeRd
01-19-2010, 02:56 AM
How long did you have your red top? Just need to know as a reference because I've had mine for about 8 months now and I hope it lasts a long time. I also have a 3 year warranty no questions asked free replacement as long as I own the car...

cardude007617
01-19-2010, 03:04 AM
look up a DEKA intimidator. i had one in my GA and loved it, and theyre cheaper than a optima. plus they have both posts :)

grandam3400
01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
I just upgraded from the red top to the yellow top 34/78 and it works great. I found the cheapest price at wal-mart then took that price to autoZone and they beat it. I think I got it for $167 or so, maybe a little less.

Good luck.

Metallman56
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
How long did you have your red top? Just need to know as a reference because I've had mine for about 8 months now and I hope it lasts a long time. I also have a 3 year warranty no questions asked free replacement as long as I own the car...

if i remember right, i think i've had it for 3 years in feburary.

look up a DEKA intimidator. i had one in my GA and loved it, and theyre cheaper than a optima. plus they have both posts :)

i will definatly check that out. have you ever used a optima, and if so do you like the Deka better, and of course why?

I just upgraded from the red top to the yellow top 34/78 and it works great. I found the cheapest price at wal-mart then took that price to autoZone and they beat it. I think I got it for $167 or so, maybe a little less.

Good luck.

thanks for the info bud. i'll definatly go between walmart and autozone, cause right now i could use every buck i've got.

thanks everyone.

AaronGTR
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
I've had a couple red tops go bad on me earlier than I expected. I believe it has something to do with the use of the gel in them instead of the liquid acid like in a regular battery. Sucks, but I need the gel cell for racing since my battery is in the trunk. But anyway, the red tops have more cranking amps but the yellow tops hold more power for longer. If you want more power reserve, go with the yellow top.

cardude007617
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
i will definatly check that out. have you ever used a optima, and if so do you like the Deka better, and of course why?

i haven't. but i can say it never failed me starting my car in sub zero weather and i was never actually able to "drain" it playing my stereo for hours and hours on end. i think its a good battery and for a bit of a savings over an optima.