a new, equally impressive, trick! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : a new, equally impressive, trick!

350rs
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
My grand dammit can make oil disappear without so much as a puff of smoke. what can YOURS do?!

Searched for oil leaks, zero.
Checked coolant, nada ( even did the not so recommended taste test).
Exhaust smoke? Not in this car.

Yet i still seem to be about a quart low everytime i change the oil. Only this time im about 1000 from change and im about a quart low. So unless its a super small leak that wont make the tell tale blue smoke, im lost. Im using Valvoline 5-30 full synthetic. I am anal about changing before 3k even gets here. The oil itself looks fine. Just low. Anybody had any worthwhile luck with the lucas oil treatment? I use to use it, but stopped because of the cold weather. I did notice they have a treatment made specifically for synthetic. Any different? cause its almost double the price if i remember right.

nolimit
01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
SAME THING HERE ! i have an 03 with only 54,000,i also change oil every 3 months or 3,000,which ever comes first,the last 2 times i've changed it,im between a half quart to quart low, motor is spotless, nothin in antifreeze ????

notsoaveragej0e
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
engine gnomes?

Step 1: Steal oil
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: PROFITS

GrandAmMe
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
engine gnomes?

^^ lol

350rs
01-19-2010, 10:29 PM
engine gnomes?

so i need an anti gnome alarm.. does a generic lawn gnome alarm cover it or do i need an engine alarm?

notsoaveragej0e
01-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd recommend a spray, generally available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

AaronGTR
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
eh, my grand prix does the same thing. I have to add half a quart every few thousand miles. That's a slow enough rate that you can still be burning a little oil and not enough that you'll see it in the exhaust smoke.

WidbyJ
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Think PCV system. Fumes/oil get burned when there is a good draw and combined with a working Cat may well never be visible. Probable culprit is overall looseness due to wear with nothing short of a rebuild to truly 'fix' it.

Oil is not forever. You should be checking it every couple of tanks of gas (in the old days it was at every fill up) and topping off as necessary. I used to keep a partial quart of oil tucked-away by the battery for this purpose. This is normal maintainance...

westerndragon
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
eh mine does it to but i drive mine pretty hard dot worry about it and as for the gnomes if you put a dwarf under the hood it works to keep them back and you can teach the dwarf to do an oil change your all set

psy7
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
i havent had that problem yet but most likely burning oil,but not enoudh to notice out of the exhaust system

Malaclypse
01-20-2010, 12:09 PM
GM's oil consumption guidelines consider 1 quart of consumption in 1,000 miles to be normal.

Its the PCV system design on the 3400. If you take the intake duct off you'll notice some oil residue in there and probably some in the throttle body and upper intake.

In short, just add oil.

cardude007617
01-20-2010, 01:46 PM
hmm my 2001 gt with 108k when i sold it didn't burn ANY oil....even over extended oil change intervals.

350rs
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
yea in the two years i have owned this thing it hasnt burned this much. Like stated im anal about my oil changes so im also anal on maintenance. I do check every 4 or 5 fillups probably.

Valve stem seals are goin i suppose. but with only 111000 miles it seems a bit much to me. Guess i just expect a lot. and 1 quart per 1000 miles?! thats terrible.. GM allows that and, on top of that, considers it NORMAL?! Man, im a die hard GM guy and thats very disappointing.

MIgrandamguy
01-24-2010, 03:44 PM
heard about this happening on some older GM cars...no leaks on the ground after the car sat for awhile and no apparent leakage on or around the engine.

Turned out to be a leak from around the seal to the Oil Pressure Sensor. Only leaked when the car was on and had pressure in the system, so oil never came out when the car was off. Have you lifted the car and looked underneath the engine? I'm not sure exactly where the sensor is on the GTs, but that might be ur culprit

350rs
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
been there done that. lol.

rtmach
01-26-2010, 06:06 PM
FWIW

My wifes GAGT 3.4 suddenly started to make oil disappear like described. Just like magic. I changed out the lower intake manifold gasket and voila, problem solved.

350rs
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
ive replaced it.. but i noticed the other day a small amount of coolant below the TB.. might be leaking AGAIN!

psy7
01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
possibly depends on if u put the stock gaskets that car has when out the factory or something similar

350rs
01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
i used the felpro "problem solver" gaskets. Metal with the rubber rings around various ports. No matter though, its small enough. Im HOPEFULLY gettin a new job soon, and i can get something else. If it falls through ( like the last one), ill fix it again. Im sure this is a great car for some. but for me its been nothing but trouble. Ill never buy a uncertified used car again i can tell ya that.

350rs
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
is the size of the bolt heads on the bolts holding down the LIM a 10? im gonna try and just tighten them a bit, maybe they got a bit loose. Ill cross my fingers and try it tomorrow.

also.. can a person get to all or at least most of them without taking the UIM off?

350rs
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
hmm... well if i ever put a caterpiller diesel in my grand am ill check out the chinese website to get my parts.. haha

350rs
01-31-2010, 05:59 PM
welp, im defiantly burning oil. I noticed today when i turned it off and went to snag my groceries from the trunk. I smell pure BURNT OIL! And apparently pretty bad.

On a positive side note. New job is mine, warehouse is bought this week. Should start within a week of that purchase. So ill limp this car around till i get something to replace it. :applause::applause::applause: