car popping at wot [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car popping at wot

natturbo3.4
01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
hello every body i have a 2000 grand am gt v6, it has new spark plug wires , iridium plugs, car runs very good , about a week ago i floored it and i heard a missfire at the same time it missed it poped thru the intake system , its every time i go wot. what could this be? i have installed a chevy astro van mass flow which gave my car lots more power car ran very hard after that upgrade, now 4 months later i am getting this sound and missfire i dont think its the mass flow. i havent changed it to the original one yet to see if its the air flow meter.

PhantomLover007
01-23-2010, 01:08 PM
How dirty is the MAF?

scott_c83
01-23-2010, 07:22 PM
to me, it sounds like a failure to ignite a cylinder...could be not enough fuel getting through. i'd get some fuel injector cleaner... since you say it is only at WOT. one of them probably has something clogging it a little and when you WOT it, the debris pushes down causing the injector to stop fuel....causing misfire....

also, check the gap on ALL plugs... maybe you might have knocked one closed (or near) when putting them in.

AaronGTR
01-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Are you kidding me? You installed a MAF sensor from another car without tuning the pcm for it.... there's your frikkin' problem! You can't just swap a MAF sensor from one car to another and expect it to work properly. It's monumentally stupid. The car probably "ran hard" because the pcm uses the MAF sensor for primary fuel adjustment and you are probably running too rich or too lean and either getting misfires or detonation when you hit WOT. It also uses the MAF sensor to determine engine load and make adjustments to the transmission shifting based on that, so it might be making your trans shift too hard. You could be doing long term damage to your car.

Step 1) take that MAF out and put your stock one back in.

Step 2) don't touch your car again until you learn how to do modifications properly!

There are no quick, cheap, or easy short cuts to making real dependable HP. Just swapping in a different MAF on a stock engine isn't going to actually gain you anything, but it will screw up how the car runs and make you imagine it made a difference.

natturbo3.4
01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Are you kidding me? You installed a MAF sensor from another car without tuning the pcm for it.... there's your frikkin' problem! You can't just swap a MAF sensor from one car to another and expect it to work properly. It's monumentally stupid. The car probably "ran hard" because the pcm uses the MAF sensor for primary fuel adjustment and you are probably running too rich or too lean and either getting misfires or detonation when you hit WOT. It also uses the MAF sensor to determine engine load and make adjustments to the transmission shifting based on that, so it might be making your trans shift too hard. You could be doing long term damage to your car.

Step 2) don't touch your car again until you learn how to do modifications properly!

There are no quick, cheap, or easy short cuts to making real dependable HP. Just swapping in a different MAF on a stock engine isn't going to actually gain you anything, but it will screw up how the car runs and make you imagine it made a difference.

well when i changed the maf it was night and day , my car shifts the same way, it idles the same , and lots more power , i am having lots of fun with this upgrade, have u ever tried this before with this type of maf because if u havent then u just cant say that its bad just because somebody else says that. u know whats funny is that its not even waisting that much gas, all i have seen is good things of this. i will check with the old maf to see if thats the problem, and if that doesnt fix it then i will have to check the wires out and the spark plugs , i am going to buy a aem wide band 02 sensor to see what air fuel ratio it says, then i will put back the original one to see the difference , if it just a little more rich and i am making more power how could this be bad, my car revs way faster with this maf, when i hit the gas at wot this thing pulls really hard. why doesnt some one try this use a 4.3 astro van maf so that u could see for self. i am going to test my tps , map sensor maf sensor etc , before i get into any thing else.

Grandamgtblk99
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Lol at this guy.

If all it took was changing a MAF to get more power, don't you think more people would do it? Or better yet, if its that simple wouldn't GM have done it from the factory?

Quit being an idiot and realize you messed up and put the stock one back on.

westerndragon
01-24-2010, 06:01 PM

X5million

GTRgod has spoken and it is so.

AaronGTR
01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
well when i changed the maf it was night and day , my car shifts the same way, it idles the same , and lots more power , i am having lots of fun with this upgrade, have u ever tried this before with this type of maf because if u havent then u just cant say that its bad just because somebody else says that.

Yes, actually I can say that. You don't have to try jumping off a bridge to know it's stupid. :rolleyes: You also can't tell it had "lots more power". A maf won't make enough of a difference for human senses to tell. You'd have to dyno test it. That's what we call the placebo effect around here... you changed something so you believe it made a difference.

What year astro did you get the MAF from? What engine, the 4.3 v6? It's a different engine, but some years used the same maf. Did you check the part numbers and make sure they are the same? If they aren't the same, then that is your problem. GM MAF's put out a specific Hz signal for the amount of air going through them, and the PCM has a table in it that matches that output to a given volume of air for fuel calculations. You can't just put in another MAF without changing the PCM table to match and not have problems. I ought to know... I'm running an LS1 MAF and I have a programmer and tuned my PCM to match.

If the part number IS the same, then it should work just fine... but you would see NO performance gain what so ever because it is exactly the same part. The only reason to buy another one is if the one you had was damaged or otherwise failed for some reason. You wasted money buying a new MAF when you could have just bought a $7 can of MAf cleaner and cleaned your stock one.

natturbo3.4
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Lol at this guy.

If all it took was changing a MAF to get more power, don't you think more people would do it? Or better yet, if its that simple wouldn't GM have done it from the factory?

Quit being an idiot and realize you messed up and put the stock one back on.

well let me tell u guys something its not like it gave me 100 hp , it gave me enough to feel the difference , before u call some one stupid whty dont u go ahead and try it for ur self , all of u guys here talk and never ever try nothing , u know what this is why i want to sell this stupiod car any ways they suck and so do u ass holes

natturbo3.4
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Yes, actually I can say that. You don't have to try jumping off a bridge to know it's stupid. :rolleyes: You also can't tell it had "lots more power". A maf won't make enough of a difference for human senses to tell. You'd have to dyno test it. That's what we call the placebo effect around here... you changed something so you believe it made a difference.

What year astro did you get the MAF from? What engine, the 4.3 v6? It's a different engine, but some years used the same maf. Did you check the part numbers and make sure they are the same? If they aren't the same, then that is your problem. GM MAF's put out a specific Hz signal for the amount of air going through them, and the PCM has a table in it that matches that output to a given volume of air for fuel calculations. You can't just put in another MAF without changing the PCM table to match and not have problems. I ought to know... I'm running an LS1 MAF and I have a programmer and tuned my PCM to match.

If the part number IS the same, then it should work just fine... but you would see NO performance gain what so ever because it is exactly the same part. The only reason to buy another one is if the one you had was damaged or otherwise failed for some reason. You wasted money buying a new MAF when you could have just bought a $7 can of MAf cleaner and cleaned your stock one.

how much money u want to be it gives u more power ,

Mike Jung
01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
how much money u want to be it gives u more power ,
Why ?

Are you going to dyno it ?

lol

Mike Jung
01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
well let me tell u guys something its not like it gave me 100 hp , it gave me enough to feel the difference , before u call some one stupid whty dont u go ahead and try it for ur self , all of u guys here talk and never ever try nothing , u know what this is why i want to sell this stupiod car any ways they suck and so do u ass holes
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

PS: Have you even seen what AaronGTR has done to his Grand AM ?

SikMindz
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e195/sheIIshock/fuuuuu.gif