Replaced wheel bearing but...... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replaced wheel bearing but......

DarkKnightZX
01-25-2010, 02:58 AM
So just replaced my wheel bearing/hub yesterday BUT im STILL getting a grinding noise when I turn. Any Ideas?

Malaclypse
01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
How'd your brake pads look? and are you sure you replaced the correct side? Or that perhaps the other side was making noise but wasn't audible over the bearing you replaced?

tagurit
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Yea, double check the brakes and look at the other wheel. I replaced the drivers side wheel bearing and it ended up being the passanger side........;crap

DarkKnightZX
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
im pretty sure. I replaced the driver side cause when I turned to the right the left made the noise. replacing it helped but it still makes noise on the driver side. the pads need to be replaced but werent completely gone. Can the pads make noise like that even when not braking?? planed on replacing the pads just didnt have an extra $48 when I was doing the Wheel hub.

psy7
01-26-2010, 02:41 PM
id replace the pads but ill ask an instructor to see if pads do make that noise or not.

psy7
01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
the pads are worn down to these metal prongs which is causing the noise in the brakes

DarkKnightZX
01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
But it sounds the same as a wheal bearing?!?! never had a cars break pads make that kind of noise.

Malaclypse
01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
If it sounds like a wheel bearing it most likely is a wheel bearing.

Brake pads worn to the squeal tabs would make a.... squealing sound. MOST annoying. Plus I'm sure you physically handled the pads and had a look at them.

Does it make the noise louder when you're turning right? Or is it louder while turning left?

You may very well have had two bad hub bearings but only replaced one. Also, did you get a new part and from where?

DarkKnightZX
01-27-2010, 02:24 AM
yes when I turn right going down the road. Yeah bought a new Hub/bearing assembly from Oreilly auto parts.

tagurit
01-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Check the calipers too.....one may be frozen and causing the noise as well.

KhellendrosxS
01-27-2010, 09:39 AM
^Check that.

Also warped rotors will brush through the calipers and rub on the pads and make a 'whooshing' noise. Ive had that happen before where one of the rotors got a little out of whack and would brush the pads but only made noise when I was going slow like during a turn.

DarkKnightZX
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Rotors dont really seem to be warped and I cant hearing any scraping or grind from the caliper when coasting through a parking lot with the windows down. could it be the axel nut wasnt tightened down enough??

KhellendrosxS
01-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Jack up the car on the side you repaired and grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and push one end in while pulling the other end towards you. Does it wiggle, even a little? If so you need to check that you properly torqued that nut down.

No dice?

Jack up the other side of the car and repeat the procedure. If you get wiggle there then that indicates a bad bearing.

DarkKnightZX
01-27-2010, 08:16 PM
ok will jack it up and try that tomorrow if it doesnt snow to much. lol

tagurit
01-27-2010, 08:32 PM
These GA's are notorious for brake calipers, rotor warp, ect for frequent replacement. ( I don't know how many brake jobs I have done in 150K ) Hopefully, your not in for more than the other wheel bearing. Good luck!

DarkKnightZX
02-02-2010, 06:26 PM
So finaly got my car jacked up and checked the bearing. the tire moves but from what I could tell it was just the suspension. replaced the brake pads on driver side and was wearing weird. New pads almost took all of the noise away. leads me to believe the caliper needs replacing. could it be making my noise by not releasing all the way like it should??? any input???

KhellendrosxS
02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
It could be. If your pads are wearing unevenly one...or both of the slide pins are wearing unevenly.

Youll need to take the caliper apart and buy the slide pin lube (looks silvery like never-seize) and lube those up really good before you reinstall.

DarkKnightZX
02-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah the pad on the front of the rotor looks fine but the back one is way thiner and worn uneven. top has more pad bottom very little by looking at it you can tell very easily. think its the pins or the caliper piston?

Laser57
02-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I have never really looked at the CV joints on my car to see if they have greese fittings, but if they do I would try greesing them and seeing if the noise stops. It could make the rubbing noise if it didn't have fresh/enough greese in it when you turn because the U joint is moving more as it revolves. (And it wouldn't be a bad thing to do if it's not the problem, assuming there are fittings)

KhellendrosxS
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I have never really looked at the CV joints on my car to see if they have greese fittings, but if they do I would try greesing them and seeing if the noise stops. It could make the rubbing noise if it didn't have fresh/enough greese in it when you turn because the U joint is moving more as it revolves. (And it wouldn't be a bad thing to do if it's not the problem, assuming there are fittings)

The CV cannot be greased.

OP:

Id try greasing the pins first. Do your breaks make a creaking/cracking sound when you are breaking at low speeds? GM had this problem resolved by buying "Kluber Lube" from the dealer. If they are creaking this will fix the problem by applying under the piston boot on the caliper. If its not creaking its probably a slide pin(s) not releasing and causing one side to rub.

DarkKnightZX
02-02-2010, 08:57 PM
never messed with slide pins. they easy to take apart/lube?

Laser57
02-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Its not too hard. Like everything just take your time, check everything out before you start tearing into stuff so you know how it works and you'll be fine.