Windshield and I-Pass ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Windshield and I-Pass ?

AuroraGuy
01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
I have an 00 GAGT and on the IL tollway web site, they claim that the 00-02 year Grand AM has a metalized windshield and they recommend that the I-Pass unit not be mounted and a license tag (instead) is suggested.

Huh?

I see the solar tint at the top, but other than that I have no idea what they are talking about. The windshield looks normal to me..It is still the OEM factory windshield since day 1 when I bought the car new in 99.

Anyone shed some light on this?
Anyone use an I-Pass or EZ-Pass transponder and mount it on our windshield?

thanks,

-JD

Mike Jung
01-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Umm, no lol

We don't drive Mercedes.

If we did have metalized windshield, my GPS units would not work or have trouble getting a satellite(s) lock.

beavercountyemt
01-27-2010, 06:17 PM
I have a ez-pass and i've never had a problem with it not registering. I have it mounted right behind the windshield.

AuroraGuy
01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
thanks guys!!

I'm not an idiot (most of the time) but thats what the I-Pass web site said!

So you mount it just below the tint area, perhaps near the rear view mirror?

Mike Jung
01-27-2010, 06:30 PM
...So you mount it just below the tint area, perhaps near the rear view mirror?
Found this online: http://support.navigonusa.com/support/questions/16/Why+Can't+I+Get+GPS+Reception%3F

Why Can't I Get GPS Reception?

A GPS receiver requires a direct visual connection to the satellites in order to properly receive GPS data.
Tunnels, tall buildings, trees and reflective surfaces can hamper the reception or even completely block it.
A metallized windshield or windshield heater can also hinder the GPS reception.
In case your vehicle is equipped with such a windshield, please place your GPS receiver near the rearview mirror.
Car manufacturers usually spare this area from applying additional layers in order to be able to install transmitters for garage door openers here.
Many receivers or mobile devices can also be equipped with an additional external GPS antenna.

lastryghts
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I have a 2002 GAGT and I have no problems with my I-Pass on the wingsheild or my GPS antenna under the defroster vent.

cardude007617
01-28-2010, 09:48 AM
wouldnt cars with the heads up display thing (grand prix's, some buicks, etc etc) have problems perhaps?

DrFabulous
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
I-Pass sounds like an apple product