System losing power from battery, strange behaviour. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : System losing power from battery, strange behaviour.

Killjoy
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Sometimes when I turn off my car, there's no power at all, and the car's been running straight of the alternator.

First time it did this, I tightened the battery cables, problem solved.

Now it's been doing it, (turn the car off, no interior light, gauges, anything - dead ... the deck even resets, so there's NO power)

but when I turn the key, the power comes back...

That doesn't make any sense to me, because if it was the battery cables(like the first time), wouldn't it never start if the battery was not connected?

Brand new battery BTW. ;crap

Killjoy
01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
The thing that concerns me is how all the power can die to my whole car (the deck goes into power has been disconnected, reset mode)

but turning the key, can bring it back.

Killjoy
01-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Apparently, even though the terminals were tight, the bolts were corroded enough that their contact surface was small, and normal corrosion was enough to essentially disconnect the circuit.

The reason the car wouldn't have power was that the deck + interior lights weren't enough draw for the electricity to jump the corrosion and connect the circuit.

When I added the entire car's circuit + starter by turning the key, it was enough draw that the power was able to cross over and run the car.

Apparently cleaning battery bolts sometimes isn't enough, and they need to be replaced.