New starter installed and it tries to start itself!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New starter installed and it tries to start itself!!!

2000GAGT
01-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I need some help,

so i drove to a parking lot and turned the car off, 10 mins later when i went to start it nothing. lights, fuel pump and everything turn on just doesn't click over. Tried jumping it and same thing.

bought a new starter w/ lifetime warranty not reman. and after installing it when i connect the battery the starter starts "clicking" right away. the keys are in my pocket so why would the starter try to engage when power is connected?

could it be a bad starter? also when attempting to jump it yesterday the cables were not connected correctly on accident so could it have burned something out in the ignition? i've just never heard of the starter attempting to run right away its connected.

any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

iceman
01-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Sounds like you have it wired incorrectly.. double check.

350rs
01-30-2010, 05:56 PM
yea, somewhere you wired it wrong.

AaronGTR
01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, sounds like you've got the power wire on the wrong terminal. The one coming from the battery should be on the same post with the smaller blue wire (fusible link) that goes to the alternator.

2000GAGT
01-30-2010, 07:34 PM
I looked at it and everything seems right. There's just one small wire that goes to the smaller post And two bigger ones that go to the bigger post. Is there something I'm missing? Could it have something to do with the ignition or just the selonid since when it gets power it's trying to start

2000GAGT
01-30-2010, 08:36 PM
i could just be retarded and not remember the wiring since i did it as fast as i could because i was in a parking lot with cars trying to run me over and it was 15 degrees and snow slush all over me...
There are three terminal posts. one has a wire coming from the starter already attached. then there are three wires to attach onto the other two posts. The really small wire goes to the small post and the other two larger wires go to the bigger post which includes one of the wires that connects to the battery.
Does that make sense? is that correct?

AaronGTR
01-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Yes, there are three posts on the solenoid. The larger one closest to the starter motor has the pre-attached wire going into the motor that provides power to the motor. The smaller one in the middle comes from the ignition switch and is what activates the soleniod and engages the starter. The outside larger post has the main power wires that come from the alternator and the battery.

If everything is wired up correctly and it's trying to turn itself on as soon as you hook the battery up, then I'd say either the solenoid is defective or somehow stuck in the on position, or there is a problem with the ignition switch maybe?

2000GAGT
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Firgured it out, pulled all the wires and put them back on the same way...the only thing different was the order of the two power wires, some how the order maders or it was grounding or something. I thought that was kinda wierd. Thanks for the responds guys it was pretty cold out to be just trial and error without some opinions first.