Cars electronics messed up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cars electronics messed up

Laser57
02-01-2010, 12:05 PM
The electronics on my car recently started acting up. It does weird things like I will go out to it and hit the unlock button on the key fob or the door and the fan will turn on instead of the door unlocking. The headlights also are always getting brighter and duller on their own and sometimes the fog lamps will remain on when on high beam for 3-4 seconds. This morning I started in and the heater fan and the radio didn't work when the car was on but did after I shut it off. I turned it back on and reved the motor to about 2500 rpm and everything started working again but at an idle they didn't work. When I read the codes off the computer they say things like headlamps out of voltage range, drivers door unlock short to B+, all door unlock short to B+, things involving the door locks/unlocks shorting to the battery. I also will be driving it down the road and hit the wipers or turnsignals and the turnsignals will make a locked up sound or the wipers will go about half way up and stop. When it does this the service vehical light will come on. I recently put underglow on the car but I determined thats not the problem because when I unhook it it still acts up. Does anybody know what could be going on?

AaronGTR
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Possibly a bad body module (BCM)? That is so many symptoms it's hard to say. Sounds like it needs a thorough diagnosis by someone familiar with the electronics on that car and with a manual and scanner.

Laser57
02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
I was looking at the wiring schematics last night for it and realised that most of the problems revolved arround the same grounding block. I checked it and there was a loose bolt that I tightened and it there have been no problems yet with it.

Mattyj724
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
well it looks like you may have found the answer then... id also check your install of underglow. you may have knocked something loose when wiring it. it counld hurt to look it over and make sure things are tight and you didnt drill through anything.

PhantomLover007
02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Diagnosing and fixing the problem yourself... Priceless.

Congrats man.

AaronGTR
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
congrats. Ground was the other thing I was gonna bring up next. Many problems can be traced back to a bad ground.

Laser57
02-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Yea, when I looked at the ground block that was loose I instantly realised that I was going to ground the underglow module behind on the bolt that holds it tight, but couldn't get the wire in it, so I guess I never remembered to retighten it. (duh?!)