Relocating h vac controls [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Relocating h vac controls

mplsgrandamse
02-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Alright so I'm in the proces of moveing my hvac controls to my glove box and I have every thing figured out exept the far right control, the one that controls where the air blows. There are a bunch of hoses on the back that need to be extended to reach the glove box.

I was thinking of buying some hose and some conectors to extend the hose.

My question is how would you extend the hose and do you think it will efect the way it blows air?

AaronGTR
02-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Those are vacuum hoses that simply control which vents the air comes out of. The control flaps inside the dash are air operated and the tubes on the back of the HVAC unit get vacuum from a tube running through the firewall to the engine. The position of the control knob determines which tubes get vacuum and which flaps are open and closed. As long as you splice the lines well so there aren't any vacuum leaks it should work fine. Question is, why the heck would you want to put the HVAC in the glove box? That would make it a little hard to reach while driving. That would bug the **** outta me.

Bryan
02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Question is, why the heck would you want to put the HVAC in the glove box? That would make it a little hard to reach while driving. That would bug the **** outta me.

Agreed, what are you planning to do?

mplsgrandamse
02-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks aaron the reason I'm moving them is to put gauges where the h vac controls were. I know it sounds stupid to put them so far away from the drivers compartment but I honestly don't use my air that much and I don't drive the ga in the winter so no need for heat.

Tank33
02-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Not sure if your aware or not, but with some easy modifications you could put 3 gauges under your cd player if you have the double din setup.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Universal-Triple-Gauge-Single-Din-Gauge-Pod.aspx

Would save all the hassle of moving the HVAC controls to somewhere they are not accessible.

mplsgrandamse
02-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Not sure if your aware or not, but with some easy modifications you could put 3 gauges under your cd player if you have the double din setup.

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/Universal-Triple-Gauge-Single-Din-Gauge-Pod.aspx

Would save all the hassle of moving the HVAC controls to somewhere they are not accessible.

No I didn't know about that but that's pretty cool. It won't work for me tho I have a 99 and 99-01 were 1.5 din and I'm keeping my stock hu for now. Thanks tho

westerndragon
02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
umm IMO way to much work for something like that besides when you get pulled over where r you gonna find your reg and ins. lol

mplsgrandamse
02-07-2010, 07:32 PM
umm IMO way to much work for something like that besides when you get pulled over where r you gonna find your reg and ins. lol

It might be to much work for you but I don't think it is to much work and I want it to be differnt from every one elses gauges.. I mounted the hvac controls on the top of the glove box so I have room for things under it :thumbs:.