fuel filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter

stonemason90
02-12-2010, 01:19 AM
i went to replace the filter and i get under the car and i look in the usual place for the fuel filter, in front of the gas tank between the tank and the body..... and its not there just this black box that im guessing is the evap container. can someone tell me where its at cuz i cant find it....

edit.... i forgot... its a 2000 grand am gt1.

Mattyj724
02-12-2010, 01:27 AM
its between the tank and the axle.. its there, just hard to see and reach. the clip is a pain to get off too.. at least mine was!

stonemason90
02-12-2010, 01:32 AM
behind the tank? do i gotta drop it to get to it? i got the tool for the quick connect so it shouldnt be too much of a pain in the you know what..... still a pain though

Mattyj724
02-12-2010, 02:06 AM
no you dont have to drop the tank... tommorrow ill take a pic of it and upload it if you dont find it by then...

stonemason90
02-12-2010, 02:14 AM
thanks i doubt im gonna do it tomorrow..... im in michigan and theres like an inch of snow on the ground so i dont really feel like going out and getting soaked to the bone from working out in the snow. its a little colder here than there...... its supposed to be cold as heck tomorrow also.... which working outside in the cold, in the snow sucks...... i dont have a garage so i cant pull it into the garage....

K WeRd
02-12-2010, 03:30 AM
Theres a little black box behind the tank, you may have to slide that off its clip to get better access of the filter. Its between the tank and the rear of the car. Not on top of the tank.

stonemason90
02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Theres a little black box behind the tank, you may have to slide that off its clip to get better access of the filter. Its between the tank and the rear of the car. Not on top of the tank.

the one that has zip ties on it?
edit the black box....

Laser57
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
When I did mine I was in a garage, had the whole back of the car on jackstands about 2 foot off the ground and it was still one of the most miserable things I have ever done. If it has never been changed before there is a green clip that needs to be pulled out and the clip on the end of the new filter will take it's place. It's a pain to get off. It also helps if you depresurize the fuel system before taking the old one off.

stonemason90
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
When I did mine I was in a garage, had the whole back of the car on jackstands about 2 foot off the ground and it was still one of the most miserable things I have ever done. If it has never been changed before there is a green clip that needs to be pulled out and the clip on the end of the new filter will take it's place. It's a pain to get off. It also helps if you depresurize the fuel system before taking the old one off.

ive done fuel filters before i know theyre a pain its just i couldnt find it. also i bought the clip expansion tool so its alot easier to get out. the tool cost like $3.50 at orielly auto parts. it makes life alot easier taking those out. and what sucks is i cant release pressure from the tank side of the filter because the filter is completely clogged a piece of debris got stuck in it so no gas is flowing at all so its under pressure on the one side and no pressure on the other side.

also i looked for it still cant find it... is it in a protective case or something to where its not visible? i would love to see that pic if youd still be willing to take one of it.

Laser57
02-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Taking the gas cap off might let the pressure release from the trank side. It is about where the front of the rear tires are, about midway across the car. When you are under it you will see the gas tank (which is directly under the rear seat). It is behind the gas tank (with the front of the car being the front) and in front of that "black box" everybody is talking about. There is a cavity between the two and it is at the top of that cavity (you will need to be almost undernieth that cavity to see it for the first time because it is pretty high up in there).

AaronGTR
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
^Taking the gas cap off will not depressurize the system. There is a check valve in the pump assembly inside the tank that holds pressure in the fuel lines. You need to go in the engine bay and take the black cap off of the end of the fuel rail (left of the power steering pump), hold a couple paper towels around it, and press in on the pin for the schrader valve with a screw driver to release the pressure. You'll still get some gas coming out of the line when you take the filter off, but at least it won't spray out at you.

stonemason90
02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
^Taking the gas cap off will not depressurize the system. There is a check valve in the pump assembly inside the tank that holds pressure in the fuel lines. You need to go in the engine bay and take the black cap off of the end of the fuel rail (left of the power steering pump), hold a couple paper towels around it, and press in on the pin for the schrader valve with a screw driver to release the pressure. You'll still get some gas coming out of the line when you take the filter off, but at least it won't spray out at you.

the thing about that is is that there is no pressure past the fuel filter. so pushing the valve does nothing to solve the problem ya it relieves what little pressure was in the line prior to it clogging but it clogged and all the pressure is on the tank side of the filter thats what my problem with relieveing the pressure is.

stonemason90
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Taking the gas cap off might let the pressure release from the trank side. It is about where the front of the rear tires are, about midway across the car. When you are under it you will see the gas tank (which is directly under the rear seat). It is behind the gas tank (with the front of the car being the front) and in front of that "black box" everybody is talking about. There is a cavity between the two and it is at the top of that cavity (you will need to be almost undernieth that cavity to see it for the first time because it is pretty high up in there).

all taking the cap off does is relieve the gas pressure in the tank not the line.

AaronGTR
02-14-2010, 05:56 PM
the thing about that is is that there is no pressure past the fuel filter. so pushing the valve does nothing to solve the problem ya it relieves what little pressure was in the line prior to it clogging but it clogged and all the pressure is on the tank side of the filter thats what my problem with relieveing the pressure is.

Huh?

The filter is never going to be clogged enough that you can't relieve the pressure in the line that way. It would have to be completely blocked. When the filter starts getting dirty it will cut down flow, but it won't get completely blocked. The engine would stop running long before that point. The check valve is behind the filter, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to relieve the pressure at the fuel rail.

stonemason90
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Huh?

The filter is never going to be clogged enough that you can't relieve the pressure in the line that way. It would have to be completely blocked. When the filter starts getting dirty it will cut down flow, but it won't get completely blocked. The engine would stop running long before that point. The check valve is behind the filter, so there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to relieve the pressure at the fuel rail.

ya the car doesnt run at all that the thing. my guess is that a bunch of debris clogged it. its the original filter at 105k miles on the car. all i get from the fuel rail is a little trickle of gas out the valve, which means theres still all that pressure on the other side of the filter. i would have to let it set for several days with that valve off for it to relieve all of the pressure in the system.

edit: i did a fuel pressure test and there wasnt even enough pressure to take it off the 0 psi mark.

AaronGTR
02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
How long has it been sitting since it last ran? If all you are getting is a little trickle from the rail, then the pressure is probably relieved already. The check valve at the pump doesn't hold pressure in the line forever. It has a small amount of leak back and usually loses a psi every couple minutes. If the car has been sitting for a day or more since the engine was last run, there shouldn't be any pressure in the line. ;)

stonemason90
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
How long has it been sitting since it last ran? If all you are getting is a little trickle from the rail, then the pressure is probably relieved already. The check valve at the pump doesn't hold pressure in the line forever. It has a small amount of leak back and usually loses a psi every couple minutes. If the car has been sitting for a day or more since the engine was last run, there shouldn't be any pressure in the line. ;)

ya its been about a week since i turned the ignition on. it should be good then. i just didnt know how well it held pressure over a period of time or rather how not well.... ill still unscrew the schrieder valve before i do i though just to make sure theres nothing left.... cuz gas in the face sucks....