EGR Error [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : EGR Error

Laser57
02-13-2010, 05:02 PM
My check engine light came on the other day, I read the code and it says the EGR valve is stuck shut. The SES light is on all the time and I am perfectly OK with the EGR crap not working, I just want the SES light out. I cleared the code but 3 startups later the light came back on so I figure it will keep doing it. I am just wondering if there is a way to keep that EGR error from triping the service engine light on without fixing the EGR valve (because I would prefer not having the EGR but want the light off so if something bad happens I know it)? Thanks.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
lol there is no benefit to not having an EGR valve. It kinda helps with the vacuum system. Quit being a moron and replace the EGR valve.

Laser57
02-13-2010, 05:24 PM
The motor will suposidly last longer and run better when the EGR would be open without the EGR. I don't really want to spend the money to buy a new valve but if the code can be 'ignored' I can just do that next time I go to work and figure out how to do it with the computer.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Are you that dense? There is no benefit. Spend the $100 bucks and fix it. Sheesh. It can't be "ignored".

Laser57
02-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm just saying, I personally know of four 3.1L and 3.4L cars that all have over 25x,xxx miles on them that had the EGR quit under 100,000 miles and they all run great and are on the origional motors and actual mechanics have told me they will run better and longer without EGR.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
So? The car's PCM is programmed for the EGR to be in use, and regulates the vacuum pressure. There is a reason why it's there.

Try using water instead of oil in the engine too, you'll get better gas mileage and burn water vapor.

Laser57
02-13-2010, 06:04 PM
EGR is not essentrial for the car to run, it is only used when there are certian engine tempatures, throttle positions, vehical speeds and vaccum conditions so there are less emissions. The valve is not even open over 50% of the time. There are only a handful of things the car needs to run effectivly such as the MAP sensor, TP sensor, MAF sensor and a couple others not including EGR. And the EGR does not regulate vaccum, vaccum regulates the EGR.

Laser57
02-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Anyway. Does anybody know if it is possible to get the cars computer to ignore the code and turn off the SES light?

AaronGTR
02-13-2010, 08:16 PM
EGR is not essentrial for the car to run, it is only used when there are certian engine tempatures, throttle positions, vehical speeds and vaccum conditions so there are less emissions. The valve is not even open over 50% of the time. There are only a handful of things the car needs to run effectivly such as the MAP sensor, TP sensor, MAF sensor and a couple others not including EGR. And the EGR does not regulate vaccum, vaccum regulates the EGR.

The EGR is used for more than that. Yes, it helps with emissions, but it does that by helping control combustion temperatures which affect emissions levels. That means that without a functioning EGR you also run hotter in low throttle conditions and sitting still in traffic. It also affects your gas mileage slightly.

You should stop listening to your "mechanic" friends, and listen to the people who are actually familiar with this car and how it works. The EGR definitely functions more than 50% of the time in this car. In fact, unless you are over 70% throttle it is open almost ALL the time. What varies is the amount it is open. It isn't just open or closed. The EGR valve opens for different percentages of flow.

Bottom line is, the car may run fine and still last a long time without it, but for a daily driven car you are better off having there and functioning. Try taking if off and checking all the holes to make sure they aren't clogged with carbon. Check the valve inlet/outlet and also check the hole in the intake manifold and from the rear exhaust manifold. Blow some compressed air through them to see if they are open. Try spraying some carb cleaner or brake cleaner through the valve. Maybe you can get it unstuck. If that doesn't work, you may be able to find a used EGR off a junked car for cheap. If all else fails, try getting one off www.gmpartsdirect.com. It's cheaper than the dealership.

lone_wolf025
02-13-2010, 10:32 PM
The EGR is used for more than that. Yes, it helps with emissions, but it does that by helping control combustion temperatures which affect emissions levels. That means that without a functioning EGR you also run hotter in low throttle conditions and sitting still in traffic. It also affects your gas mileage slightly.

You should stop listening to your "mechanic" friends, and listen to the people who are actually familiar with this car and how it works. The EGR definitely functions more than 50% of the time in this car. In fact, unless you are over 70% throttle it is open almost ALL the time. What varies is the amount it is open. It isn't just open or closed. The EGR valve opens for different percentages of flow.

Bottom line is, the car may run fine and still last a long time without it, but for a daily driven car you are better off having there and functioning. Try taking if off and checking all the holes to make sure they aren't clogged with carbon. Check the valve inlet/outlet and also check the hole in the intake manifold and from the rear exhaust manifold. Blow some compressed air through them to see if they are open. Try spraying some carb cleaner or brake cleaner through the valve. Maybe you can get it unstuck. If that doesn't work, you may be able to find a used EGR off a junked car for cheap. If all else fails, try getting one off www.gmpartsdirect.com. It's cheaper than the dealership.

Damn you beat me to it. Worst case if your EGR doesn't work after cleaning it and you'd be willing to purchase a used EGR let me know. I took mine off when I got new headers (wasn't willing to buy a new $70 tube to route the exhaust) so I've still got it laying around. Only other way to get rid of the code would be to have the computer reprogrammed to ignore/not report that code. That's how mine is currently. You'd have to pay someone like MP Racing do it.

Grandamgtblk99
02-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I deleted my egr when I went turbo, and at idle and stop lights my car does run hotter than normal. Definitely, leave it on your stock car. I plan on installing mine back eventually.

Laser57
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
I got thinkning about it, and what you guys said (the ones that were actually helpful), and realised that if the computer thought the EGR was working but in reality it wasn't that it would hurt the performance. Then I got thinknig if I could get the computer to never use the EGR and know its not using it, I could block off the EGR valve. "In theory" then, I would not have to worry about the car compensating to run EGR and not get EGR, and it would know its not getting EGR and it wouldn't compensate to get it and (because of the valve being brove ) not get it. After researching this, and realising its nor possible, I think I will just change the valve.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-14-2010, 04:33 PM
...I think I will just change the valve.

Welcome to yesterday.

AaronGTR
02-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I don't know how much research you did... but it actually is possible. You just have to have your own tuner to do it, or have someone who can tune the computer do it for you. You have to set all the codes to non-reporting, and max out the air temp setting for the EGR activation. That way it will never get hot enough for the PCM to command the EGR to open.

Regardless of this, as we already said there is no point to doing this on a lightly modified daily driven car, and there are actually advantages to having the EGR there and functioning.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, I don't know how much research you did... but it actually is possible. You just have to have your own tuner to do it, or have someone who can tune the computer do it for you. You have to set all the codes to non-reporting, and max out the air temp setting for the EGR activation. That way it will never get hot enough for the PCM to command the EGR to open.

Regardless of this, as we already said there is no point to doing this on a lightly modified daily driven car, and there are actually advantages to having the EGR there and functioning.

I said it like three times before the others chimed in. lol