Door panel ghetto rigging? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Door panel ghetto rigging?

lone_wolf025
02-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Quick backstory: My driver's side door panel has been coming loose where it meets the fender. Its been that way pretty much since it was replaced after some body repairs a while back. It's been hanging on by a few quick fixes, but now the fender itself is cracked on the inside so replacing the panel is no longer the solution.

So now its getting so bad the upper edge of the ribbing panel is catching on the outer edge of the stock body kit framing. I am sorely tempted to rip the panel off and leave it off until I can get a job and have it all fixed at once. Anyone else agree with that idea or have any other suggestions of ghetto rigging until I can get it fixed?

westerndragon
02-15-2010, 06:54 AM
one figure out WHY its rubbing is the door tilted or the front quarter panel moved in. my door was rubbing after i had a panel adjusted after someone vandalized my car.

I did a quick fix 2 years ago with this stuff called amazing goop it comes in a red tube and its like liquid concrete still holding well with no leaks. try adjusting the panel by tapping it forward with a soft mallet and a block of wood then tack the ribbed piece back to the door with the goop

bobusboy
02-15-2010, 10:35 AM
if you just need a solid adhesive head to home depot or rona or (Canadian tire) and get this stuff called PL premium; put it in the caulking gun and fire away, also comes in a smaller single use tube too.

I've used it on a bunch of stuff where it is exposed to the elements on a regular basis.

PhantomLover007
02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Crazy glue or epoxy... lol lol

No.. seriously don't do it..;crap

GA2000GTSpeed
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
i had mine off for awhile then used the 3m double stick tape stuff from Autozone... but its coming off again...

lone_wolf025
02-15-2010, 05:40 PM
The problem isn't simply that the panel needs to be re-attached. It was once already, but the problem is that the fender is all jacked up on the inside. So even if I did remove and reattach the panel it would just be a matter of time before it all happened again as it did this time. Now its so bad I can't force the door open more than about a foot without concern of causing some major damage. So I've taken to getting out the passenger side door for now. Sadly, ghetto rigging is no longer an option. Its either fixed or no opening door...Exactly what I don't need unfortunately.

GA2000GTSpeed
02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
so the driver side front fender is the one bent right? or i might be just reading this to fast. my fender ended up being jacked when i ignored the panel for to long, i took it off and tried to beat it back close to how it is supposed to be. i also have another one my buddy painted for me i just never put on lol (mine was the passenger side)

and its a pain in the ass to find a 99+ anything at junkyards...

lone_wolf025
02-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Dropped it off at the body shop the other day. Its about $200 in parts (at cost) for a new fender and panel and about $600+ in labor. I'll be lucky if its under $900 total for an error they made in the first place.