heater core is fuzzled! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : heater core is fuzzled!

Weman
02-14-2010, 03:54 AM
K this is no good I work security witch makes me sit in my car to eat lunch so I started ideling my car for approx 30 mins the days that I work approx 5 days a week. Now I'm in canada, not to bad of winters but at first my heat would come on at around 65 celcius untill recently I had it up to 90 celcius to get heat now today I ran it till almost 135! Still no heat

So I'm assuming my heater core is going! Not good! I got a few months left of winter how much do heater cores go for? Anyone know? What's the labour on them and any ideas of what it could be, p.s my air conditioning never worked!

AaronGTR
02-14-2010, 08:20 AM
What does this have to do with performance?
Wrong section dude. Should be in technical questions.

You have a '90 grand am, that right? I didn't even notice that before. You do also know this site is dedicated to '99+ models right? Well anyway, check on gmpartsdirect.com. New heater core for your car is $59 plus shipping. Usually they cost more in labor to replace than the cost of the part itself because they are buried behind the dash. Since you said your a/c doesn't work either though, it might not necessarily be the heater core. Could be a problem with the the HVAC controls. Maybe a vacuum leak or electrical issue that's making it not open the flap that directs air through the heater core? I'm not familiar with how the HVAC unit in your car works, so that's a best guess.