oil change gutter thing? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil change gutter thing?

350rs
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
i noticed working on my dads lumina ( 3.1) that it had a nice "gutter" like plastic piece under the oil filter. Was this an option for the 3.4? It looks like i could get one off a junk 3.1 and put it on no problem. Probably wouldnt be but 4 or 5 bucks at the scrap yard too. Anybody done it? I use the Wix equivalent to the PF 52.

PhantomLover007
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Take pics of it and try it out.

KhellendrosxS
02-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Theres one on mine.

GA2000GTSpeed
02-14-2010, 03:35 PM
its standard on n-body's as far as i know, its just there to help keep the road grim off the engine and accessories.

PhantomLover007
02-14-2010, 03:52 PM
It's not the black air dam thing is it?

[ChaosweaveR]
02-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Pics plz.

Ajaxus
02-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I've been wanting pics since I read the thread title, lol

Mike Jung
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I've been wanting pics since I read the thread title, lol
You drinking again ?

lol

lone_wolf025
02-14-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought that was there to allow oil from the filter to not drip all over the side of the block when you're changing it.

350rs
02-14-2010, 10:31 PM
sure seems that way. im not getting under the car when its this cold out. and no im not talking about the plastic air dam.

Ajaxus
02-15-2010, 09:06 AM
You drinking again ?

lol

What? "Gutter thing" isn't funny or weird? I'm pretty sure that's not what GM calls it..so I was curious what he was referencing, lol

350rs
02-15-2010, 02:27 PM
What? "Gutter thing" isn't funny or weird? I'm pretty sure that's not what GM calls it..so I was curious what he was referencing, lol

defiantly not what they call it.. but it acts the same way. so why not call it that.

Laser57
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I know Dodge puts a gutter thing under the oil filter on thir new Hemis to control and direct the oil that first seeps out when you unscrew the oil filter a couple turns when changing the filter. It's a GREAT system, it ecen directs it away from everything oposed to aiming it right at a skid plate or something it hits the oil pan under the truck. I know my Grand Am doesn't have one.

stonemason90
02-19-2010, 11:33 PM
actually they did make funnels for under the filter for the 3.1 its so that when you take the oil filter off you dont get oil all over the side of the motor. my old 94 beretta had one and i loved it cuz it prevented the mess from the filter pouring out everywhere just put a pan under the funnel and unscrew the filter although it did make it a bit harder to get the filter off i had to get to them from the top rather than the bottom. i dont know if it will fit on it or not cuz idk if the 3.4 has a place for it to bolt to on the block.

edit: if it works let us know cuz i would love to put one on mine.....

350rs
02-20-2010, 09:45 AM
actually they did make funnels for under the filter for the 3.1 its so that when you take the oil filter off you dont get oil all over the side of the motor. my old 94 beretta had one and i loved it cuz it prevented the mess from the filter pouring out everywhere just put a pan under the funnel and unscrew the filter although it did make it a bit harder to get the filter off i had to get to them from the top rather than the bottom. i dont know if it will fit on it or not cuz idk if the 3.4 has a place for it to bolt to on the block.

edit: if it works let us know cuz i would love to put one on mine.....

i think it does. i noticed three small threaded holes under the filter location. In a slight triangular setup too. Looks like it should, but if it would idk why GM wouldnt just have it on there from factory? unless clearance would be an issue. i know that it would get in the way of my filter wrench. Unless i were to get one that mounts on the end.

stonemason90
02-20-2010, 08:06 PM
i think it does. i noticed three small threaded holes under the filter location. In a slight triangular setup too. Looks like it should, but if it would idk why GM wouldnt just have it on there from factory? unless clearance would be an issue. i know that it would get in the way of my filter wrench. Unless i were to get one that mounts on the end.

maybe a trip to the junk yard is in order then lol

350rs
02-20-2010, 09:17 PM
meh. maybe this summer if i still have the car.. lol

maybe ill steal the one off dads car.. he wont notice. haha

stonemason90
02-21-2010, 01:23 AM
meh. maybe this summer if i still have the car.. lol

maybe ill steal the one off dads car.. he wont notice. haha

well i dont have my beretta anymore so id have to go to the junk yard lol

datencio
02-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Just looked don't have a "Gutter Thingy" but there are indeed the three mysterious bolt holes (The GT triangle). I did find a piece of that coyote that took out my front bumper cover, fog lamp and most of the plastic pieces on the driver's side!! Think I'll hand that coyote chunk from my rear view.

stonemason90
02-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Just looked don't have a "Gutter Thingy" but there are indeed the three mysterious bolt holes (The GT triangle). I did find a piece of that coyote that took out my front bumper cover, fog lamp and most of the plastic pieces on the driver's side!! Think I'll hand that coyote chunk from my rear view.

i think it might have only been on the 3.1 sfi. i know its not on the older mpfi motor so it might have just been on the sfi motor maybe it was something they wanted to try and didnt like cuz it actually made sense....