Engine Bay Parts Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay Parts Questions

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Okay, so I wasn't quite sure where to stick this.

I have some issues that I wanted to discuss with the community and the best way for me to get a grasp on the matter is with some visuals. With that in mind, I took some snaps of my engine bay (which is decidedly stock and dirty ><). So this thread is going to serve two purposes. The first I will illustrate here, in this post, and the second I will describe in my next post (ie my actual problem).

Alrighty, for the first bit:
I consider myself to have a fair bit of knowledge about cars (ie more than the average joe) and I am always trying to learn more. I've been trying to find a good way to quickly identify parts on the engine, and I have referenced the Part Numbers Listing on here. My issue is that it is a tad difficult to actually discern what parts are what because the pictures do not so you a representation of what actually goes where so if you don't know what something looks like (or what system it goes to, ie HVAC, cooling, etc) then you are a little screwed and have to ask around or search. Now, both options are nice because many people have a good stock of knowledge and there is many posts on certain things. The issue that I have run into (that I will go into later) is that sometimes you can't find what you are looking for. In my case, I am looking for the location of vacuum lines and I don't find much on what I am specifically looking for and also people misspell things sometimes. So I have seen 'vacuum' (which I hate the word, btw lol) spelled 'vaccuum'/'vaccum'/'vaccume'/'vacume'/etc, which makes it incredibly hard to find proper information.

So in light of that I would like to put together a pictoral version of the part numbers guide. This can be used in conjunction with the part number listing we already have to assist in quickly find what something is. For example:
What's this black tube here? I can't find the name for it and when I check the pictures to find the part number I cannot tell what page it is on. Is it HVAC or cooling or fuel system? Gah! Oh wait, look here! *looks at this post* That's the part I mean, and it says it's name 'tube1' and goes to the cooling system. I can swing over to the part number listing pics and find the number for it. Sweet!

Okay, so that's semi-crappy but I think you get the idea. The next post is going to be the pictures I have taken of my engine bay. What I will do is circle some parts and ask for some info on them. If you know what the part is, please post and tell me (I will have separate parts circled/highlighted and numbered). I will also list the commonly known parts as I get around to it (also numbered, different colored scheme for parts we have already identified). I'm going to keep copies of each revision and update as needed (I really do not mind doing this, as it helps myself and the community). Also, if anyone wants to request more pictures feel free to do so. I can take more pics whenever I get the chance, but I tried to cover all the important angles.

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Engine Bay Pics 1

01 Engine - Top.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/01Engine-Topr1.jpg

1 - Alternator
2 - Coilpack
3 - Brake Fluid Resivoir
4 - Power Steering Fluid Resivoir
5 - Upper Intake Manifold

02 Engine - Front - Left.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/02Engine-Front-Leftr1.jpg

1 - Radiator Fluid Resivoir

1 - ???
2 - ???
3 - ???

03 Engine - Front - Center.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/03Engine-Front-Centerr1.jpg

1 - ???
2 - ???

04 Engine - Front - Right.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/04Engine-Front-Rightr1.jpg

1 - Airbox
2 - Mass Air Flow sensor
3 - Throttle Body
4 - RAM Air duct
5 - Battery

1 - ???
2 - ???
3 - ???
4 - ???

05 Engine - Front - Center - Down.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/05Engine-Front-Center-Down.jpg

06 Engine - Rear - Center.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/06Engine-Rear-Centerr1.jpg

1 - ???

07 Engine - Rear - Left.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/07Engine-Rear-Left.jpg

08 Engine - Rear - Right.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/08Engine-Rear-Rightr1.jpg

1 - ???
2 - ???

09 Engine - Side - Left.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/09Engine-Side-Left.jpg

10 Engine - Side - Front - Right.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/10Engine-Side-Front-Right.jpg

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Engine Bay Pics 2

11 Engine - Side - Rear - Right.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/My%20Engine%20Bay/11Engine-Side-Rear-Right.jpg

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Alright, finally on to my problem. I have a dreaded vacuum leak. I've done some searching and haven't really found the answers I need.

What I want to do is replace my vacuum lines, if possible. I can hear the telltale hissing noise when my engine runs, and I know that my mechanic told me a P code for vacuum leak (I forget the actual code) was causing my SES light to be on. Within the past year I had my LIM changed and my then-mechanic (he left the shop we went to, great guy but no idea when he works now ;_;) ended up having to replace my UIM as well (had a few cracks), so I am assuming my LIM/UIM gaskets are not causing the issue (I heard vacuum leaks can be there, don't shoot me if I'm crazy-wrong heh). So I want to start with DIY stuff and I'm guessing the vacuum lines are possibly that.

So, if I could get the locations and part numbers of the vacuum lines under the hood, I would be very grateful. You can even give a general idea of their location based on the pics above :D Beyond that, though, I have a few questions:
1) I believe I read that a vacuum line goes into the PCV valve, shown below. Mine is loose (ie you can pull out the valve and it slides right off the line), so my old mechanic did a temp fix and ziptied it tighter. How should I truly fix this?
2) I also have a metal rail that seemed to like to try and pop out of a hose coming from the coolant tank, also shown below. For a quick fix, I clamped it down. How should I truly fix this?

04 Engine - Front - Right.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/Pic1-1.jpg

02 Engine - Front - Left.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j123/LordDKain/1999%20Grand%20Am%20GT/Pic2-1.jpg

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, a few things:

1) Can a mod please rename this to add a 56k warning? I completely forgot ><
2) Please relocate this as needed
3) I'm working on the pics now, I just wanted to make sure I had enough space (I have 11 pics now, there's a 10 pic limit per post)

PhantomLover007
02-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Mna that thing is durty... ;crap... lol.

BTW.... I'm running off of 56K w/ no issues... lol

Alot of engine degreaser and a good spraying will knock most of the stuff off. Not sure what to do about the rust though.

99GTCoupe
02-15-2010, 03:11 PM
lol
Well... not really concerned with that right now (though I plan to clean it up come spring). But thanks haha

PhantomLover007
02-15-2010, 03:16 PM
You best bet is to buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual. It's helped me out alot..

Haughee
02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I just fixed that damn vacuum elbow.

I went to autozone and showed then the bad elbow. They gave me a piece that had an elbow and a straight pipe and said, "this is what you need." I sat there and looked at the line and said "hell no"

So I ripped the tube off the elbow bracket and super glued the old line into the new elbow, seems to be working fine, no more leaks.

AaronGTR
02-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Holy cow! Well, in some of those pics you have the same parts circled in multiple pics. But here goes...

Pic #2: 1 is the cruise control actuator. 2 and 3 are return hoses for the cooling system that are meant to bleed air pockets back to the overflow tank. 2 goes to the coolant neck attached to the thermostat housing on the LIM, and 3 comes from the top of the radiator.

Pic #3: 1 and 2 are both return hoses for coolant from heater core. 1 actually comes around the engine directly from the heater core hoses in the back, and 2 attaches to a hard pipe that goes under the UIM and into the thermostat housing behind the thermostat.

Pic #4: 1 is the PCV valve with the rubber elbow on top. 2 is the tube coming from the top of the UIM behind the TB which provides vacuum to the PCV system and to something else... I think it's the little gray line that goes into the wire harness loom which provides vacuum for the HVAC controls inside the car, not sure. Could also be to the EVAP solenoid. Hard for me to remember all that stuff since mine are all different. 3 is the main coolant hoses coming out of the engine to the radiator. 4 is the same coolant hard line going to the heater core as number 2 in pic 3.

Pic #6: Bunch of wiring harness connectors. Looks like the connector for the alternator control maybe? (mine plugs right into the alternator) and the main injector harness connector. Third one might be for the ignition module. Too hard to tell from just the pic, and your connectors are a little different from mine.

Pic #8: 1 is the EGR valve and solenoid. 2 is the Idle air control valve on the TB.

As for the vacuum leak problem, it really shouldn't be that hard to track down. Look at any place there is a port on the upper intake manifold. There is one on the top where that tube for the PCV . There is one on the front right corner for the fuel pressure regulator. There are three on the back. A small one for the MAP sensor, a big one for the brake booster, and another small one on the back left corner that isn't used and has a rubber cap on it. In addition it is possible to have leaks at the TB gasket or the UIM gaskets, or even from the O-rings around the fuel injectors if one is ripped.

99GTCoupe
02-16-2010, 09:02 PM
AaronGTR: lol really? I hadn't realized I multi-circled XD
And thanks! Shall add that intel asap

Interesting idea on the PCV hose problem, Haughee

Phantom: I actually bought a Haynes but I have to admit I cannot find it -.- And I thought there wasn't a Chilton's for the 99+ GAs?

Also, to be clear on the vacuum leak check:
1) PCV line
2) The line in the front right of the UIM
3) One small in the back that the MAP is hooked to (or is that wrong)
4) Larger one in back for brake booster
5) Another small one that should be securely capped
6) TB gasket
7) UIM gasket (which -should- be new and fine, for me)
8) O-rings on fuel injectors

Sounds like 1-5 are easy as pie to look at/fix, though I didn't know about the TB gasket. That could be bad, too, since it's all mostly original. Would using some soapy water to check for leaks be a good idea? I assume air is escaping from wherever, correct?

AaronGTR
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
^Actually, air would be going in, not out. When the throttle plate is closed and the engine is idling, it is trying to draw in more air, hence vacuum.

Best way to check for vacuum leaks is just to listen for hissing noise and trying pinching the hoses at the connectors and see if there is any sound change. Sometimes that won't find it of course, and the second best way is to spray some carb cleaner around the spots where there might be a leak. Carb cleaner is flammable so any that gets sucked into the intake will burn... if you hear the engine speed up, you've found your leak. ;)

stonemason90
02-19-2010, 10:09 PM
a good way to test that i like is using a propane torch without it being lit just turn it on and put it up near where you think the leak might be, if the idle goes up then thats where your leak is.

99GTCoupe
03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Focking fock haven't been able to work on this. Working in the field at my job as opposed to in the call center takes up more time and energy than I'd like lol

But anyways, I -I checked on my vacuum issue. Sprayed some carb cleaner at the locations I could find but nothing happened. Bummer. I picked up a PCV valve, though, since I figure it's probably the original and they are only $3. I pulled the old one out of that lovely rubber elbow and ended up ripped the fracken joint (which was probably the original, too) :doh: Well, ordered a new line from NAPA (since you can't get just the elbow) and tomorrow I'll have it (yay).

Bright side, though, is that I followed the line back behind the engine and found out that the end of the PCV tubing wasn't connected to anything. After a brief 'ohshi-' moment I found the hole and stuck it in (bow-chicka-wow). I'm gonna laugh my arse off if that fixes it

AaronGTR
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, that will probably fix it, because if the other end of that line isn't connected it will suck air through it... aka vacuum leak.

PhantomLover007
03-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I just fixed that damn vacuum elbow.

I went to autozone and showed then the bad elbow. They gave me a piece that had an elbow and a straight pipe and said, "this is what you need." I sat there and looked at the line and said "hell no"

lol lol lol. That's so messed up man.

99GTCoupe
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, that will probably fix it, because if the other end of that line isn't connected it will suck air through it... aka vacuum leak.

Haha yeah, that's what I'm betting on, which is gonna make me so happy. I tossed the valve back in with the same elbow and I put it in drive while holding the brake in my garage and I -think- that while revving there seemed to be more response and power than before, but that -could- just be because I was driving the Durango all day lol

I thought about testing it around the block but decided I'll wait to get the new elbow to made darn sure it's all taken care of.

lol lol lol. That's so messed up man.

!!!
Yeah, that's insane. I know I called Autozone to see how quick they could get the line and the lady was like 'Oh, that's just a regular hose that connects the valve to the manifold.' And I was like 'Uhhh no, it's a molded line that has three separate connections that I see here on your website.' ... 'Oh, okay then' lol

Like this!
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/46014/image/8/

99GTCoupe
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Welp, preliminary tests (ie driving a couple miles to the store and back) show that my car is running like it used to! No hesitating, no sluggish almost-stalling when I slow to a stop, no acting retarded when I leave started it up before coming home and didn't let it idle for a few minutes before driving. B-E-A-utiful ^.^

In retrospect it was a damn good thing I ordered a rubber grommet to replace the old one cause I could tell when I ripped it out (Literally. It got ripped out in pieces with a pair of needlenose and a screwdriver. I even had to cut it with a pocket knife to get it all out!) that it was way past it's prime. The vavle, grommet, and tubing was all probably original parts.

PCV Valve = $2.29
PCV Valve Grommet = $3.29
PCV Valve Hose = $8.99
Knowing that my gas mileage is going to go back to normal and I don't have to worry about two-footing it when I come to a stop anymore = PRICELESS

PhantomLover007
03-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Good sh1t man. Glad it's back to normal for you.

99GTCoupe
03-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm so it still acts a little funky, but only if I leave the car off for a bit then don't let it warm up for a few minutes before driving again. Around 40 it seems to loose power, like the RPMs slowly fall as if it can't hold the constant speed. Happens at other times, but mostly noticeable then. When slowing down the RPMs bounce and it stutters like it will stall but it doesn't. Still it's one hell of an improvement over what it was.

I know I'm due for an oil change and I just put some Lucas lube and cleaner in my tank. The oil might be crappy now since I think the PCV valve was old and likely bad, so hopefully after an oil change or two it will be better. Gonna dump a can of Seafoam in the oil before I head out today and let it run around in there until I can get her in for a oil change over the next few days.