Turnsignal fixed but disabled horn? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Turnsignal fixed but disabled horn?

gerry
02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

I had that pesky turnsignal problem where it would randomly click. So i took apart the multi-function switch and cleaned all the contacts. I carefully replaced the horn pin and put everything back together. The problem is now the horn will not work. (it does work on keyless entry so its not the fuse or the horn) What did i do wrong? Do i have to add back grease to the little pin or is there a special way to reset it?

I didn't breake the clock spring either because the cruise controll works and the airbag light is not on. Something is just not set correctly and i'd like some ideas.

Does the pin have to rest directly against the disk or does it touch from both sides? The reason I ask is the pin has like a notch in it so i'm not sure what its supposed to contact with.

Please help me out.
thanks
Gerry

gerry
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Anyone?

Malaclypse
08-17-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about the pin that comes out of the turn signal switch? That should ride on the plastic disk with the metal band on it.

Did you remove the airbag and steering wheel?

gerry
08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Yes that's the one. The disk isn't broken and the wires are fine. The pin is making full contact. The cruise works and all the lights work. No I didn't remove the airbag or steering wheel.

Is it possible the horn relay or a fuse blew? How do I verify?

I'm stumped on what I need to check next. The keyless and panic button both sound the horn but I was told that's on a different circuit so its not important.

I'm assuming you're talking about the pin that comes out of the turn signal switch? That should ride on the plastic disk with the metal band on it.

Did you remove the airbag and steering wheel?

gerry
08-17-2010, 07:26 PM
I just rechecked. Fuses are good.

Pauljp
08-17-2010, 07:26 PM
This is for the 2003 GAGT:

The slip ring on the steering column provides a ground when you press the button and goes out the black wire on pin A of connector C2 on the multifunction switch and energizes relay 21 located in the fuse box under the hood. The contacts from the relay will take power from 15 amp fuse #43 also located under the hood and feed it directly to the two horns behind the passenger headlight.
There are three connectors on your multi-function switch. a 4 pin, a 5 pin and a 6 pin. Your horn wire is the black wire on the 4 pin connector. If you unplug the 4 pin connector and ground the black wire, your horn should sound.
Check the pin on the connector, ground it to see if the horn works.
Hope this helps.

gerry
08-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Just to be sure, I unplug the 4 pin connector and touch the the black wire to the ring?

Ill try that tomorrow. There's no chance the airbag blows in my face is there?

Pauljp
08-17-2010, 08:07 PM
I am assuming that my 03GAGT is the same as your 02Alero.
Ensure that you have a 4, 5 & 6 pin connectors on your MFS and that there is a black wire in the first hole of the 4 pin connector.
That is your horn wire.
Take a piece of wire, ground it, and touch that black wire.
Your horn should sound.
If it does, then you just verified all fuses and relays from the 4 pin connector to your horn.

You should always remove the airbag fuse while working on the steering column !!

gerry
08-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Yes the mfs is the same. So if the horn does sound then does that mean the problem is in the ring or in the button on top of the airbag? Or in the connector itself?

The horn worked before and I read about people breaking the ring or turning the wheel aftewards and a wire would snap but that would disable the cruise and make the airbag light go on right?

I am assuming that my 03GAGT is the same as your 02Alero.
Ensure that you have a 4, 5 & 6 pin connectors on your MFS and that there is a black wire in the first hole of the 4 pin connector.
That is your horn wire.
Take a piece of wire, ground it, and touch that black wire.
Your horn should sound.
If it does, then you just verified all fuses and relays from the 4 pin connector to your horn.

Malaclypse
08-17-2010, 09:32 PM
We know the relay, power supply and horns themselves work because they work when you use the remote.

I'd say go back and check your work again. If there's nothing out of place with the multi-function switch or horn contact to the cancel cam (That disk we've been talking about) then you should consider the possibility of the horn contact behind the airbag having broken.

People snapping a wire and disabling cruise and the airbags is them breaking the airbag coil. This happens when you turn the steering column while the intermediate shaft is unbolted and forget to turn it back. That's not your problem.

There's a wire with a brass terminal on the end. Behind that terminal is a spring and a white piece of plastic that fits into the column through the wheel. That plastic piece may have broken.

Y2KGA
08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Yes the mfs is the same. So if the horn does sound then does that mean the problem is in the ring or in the button on top of the airbag? Or in the connector itself?

The horn worked before and I read about people breaking the ring or turning the wheel aftewards and a wire would snap but that would disable the cruise and make the airbag light go on right?

Most people have problems with the horn after replacing the MFS because they did not have the horn pin held in during installation. If the pin is not held in during installation it will damage the metal ring and you will it not work correctly.

AFAIK damaging the metal ring has no effect on the airbag or the cruise control.

gerry
09-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I brought my car to the garage and they are saying its the clock spring. I have a feeling they dint check anything. Its the cancel cam. I'm sure of it. I will try again.