Starter Celinoid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starter Celinoid

Laser57
02-15-2010, 05:22 PM
The celinoid on my starter sticks a little bit when it is cold and doesn't retract the starter gear fast enough. I went to NAPA to buy a celinoid for it and they said they don't sell the parts, just the whole starter and that it is nonservicable. I was looking at the starter and it has bolts everywhere a normal, serviciable starter has them. My question is, if I tear it apart to clean everything will I be able to get it back together? (I am 99% sure it is just dirty because it doesn't stick when the motor is warm or in summer)

AaronGTR
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah, you should be able to just take the solenoid off the starter, clean it and grease the shaft that the gear slides along and the engagement fork and whatever other moving bits in there, and put it back together. I've done that on other cars before.

Laser57
02-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Thats what I figured when I saw that the celinoid had blots holding it in because I know that the plunger getting grimey makes it act up and I've tore the one on my 86' Suzuki Samari apart countless times because of this. Now I am kindof wondering what the NAPA guys were talking about...

rustyballs_69
02-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Sounds to me like the NAPA guy was just trying so sell you a starter. I have had mine apart before to clean it up and grease it. I have seen starter rebuilt kits online so it is servicable.