Crank pulley WON'T go back on?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Crank pulley WON'T go back on?!?!

lightningGA
02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I had to remove the crank pulley to locate and fix a small oil leak. Turns out the leak was from the oil pan gasket...that's all fixed.

Now onto the REAL problem.....I can not get the crank pulley back on for the life of me. I've tried heating the pulley up and lubing it up and it won't go on more than a 1/4 of an inch. I did not remove the keyway on the crank so that's in the same place it was.

Any ideas what could be causing this or anything else I could be missing or try??

AaronGTR
02-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Make sure the key is all the way down in the key way? I've seen people get pulleys stuck cause the key was sticking up a little bit. Sure, it's an obvious thing to check, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Malaclypse
02-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Just to add, the pulley is also quite a snug fit onto the crank.

Usually I've used a hammer and a block of wood to seat the crank pulley further onto the crank snout and then a 1/2 Impact to drive it on the rest of the way.

alerored04
02-18-2010, 09:27 PM
/\ Same here. BFH does wonders.

AaronGTR
02-19-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd be rather concerned about damaging something though using a hammer to get the pulley on the end of the crank.

alerored04
02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Chunk of 2x4 takes the blow of the hammer. Never caused a problem for me but I guess you could be right.

Malaclypse
02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
I've never had a problem with it in 8 years of shop experience.

Yes the best idea is to use a crank pulley installer... but that costs more than $100. Then you have to remove the starter to wedge the flywheel in place so the crank doesn't turn when you're wrenching the pulley on.

A block of wood and a 3 lb mini-sledge gets the job done cheaper, more quickly and with minimal risk. Note you're not driving the pulley ALL the way on with the hammer. Just enough to get the bolt threaded and then using an impact. *shrugs*

iceman
02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Go put it in the oven

AleroB888
02-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Go put it in the oven

Really? I would have thought, let it set in the freezer, since heat would expand metal in all directions. And I have had some cases where bolts could not be removed when the engine was hot, but came out easily after cooling down.
BUT, I'm not going to argue against the experience of 10,000 posts..... :)

iceman
02-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Really? I would have thought, let it set in the freezer, since heat would expand metal in all directions. And I have had some cases where bolts could not be removed when the engine was hot, but came out easily after cooling down.
BUT, I'm not going to argue against the experience of 10,000 posts..... :)

:) I didn't make that up, saw Rob do it on his LS1 and I have heard of plenty of others.

Regarding your experience, sure you can't get a bolt out because the bolt had expanded and once it cooled off, shrunk enough to remove. If you are just heating the pulley, it'll be the only thing expanding, should slip right on

Vegeta
02-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Baking that rubber ring isn't a good idea.

AleroB888
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
:) I didn't make that up, saw Rob do it on his LS1 and I have heard of plenty of others.

Regarding your experience, sure you can't get a bolt out because the bolt had expanded and once it cooled off, shrunk enough to remove. If you are just heating the pulley, it'll be the only thing expanding, should slip right on

Yeah, but in that case, the engine metal around the bolt would have "expanded" from the bolt, too, (same as heating the pulley), and shouldn't have been tighter as a heated assembly to begin with.

Unless there is some kind of surface "hardening" on the inside of the pulley that prevents it from "expanding" inward, and only allows outward motion.

Not doubting you at all, just is counterintuitive to me. This is why I dropped out of advanced physics class....:)

lightningGA
02-20-2010, 09:28 AM
I figured there had to be a tool to make this easier. I found a cheap one here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40749
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/40700-40799/40749.gif

And I have a 20% off coupon....so I'll be picking that up today.

Thanks for all the input guys.....I really appreciate it!!

scott_c83
02-20-2010, 10:19 AM
you can save your 20% coupon man, autozone and advanced "rents" pulley pullers and installers.

when you return the item, they give you 100% money back. not bad, but i've rented LOTS from them.

lightningGA
02-20-2010, 10:21 AM
you can save your 20% coupon man, autozone and advanced "rents" pulley pullers and installers.

when you return the item, they give you 100% money back. not bad, but i've rented LOTS from them.

Thanks....I'll check with advance before I get one.

AaronGTR
02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, you could just rent a pulley installer. Warming it in the oven won't hurt either. I did that with my aluminum pulley, and I've done it with other pulleys before. You just don't want to get it too hot like 400 degrees. lol 15-20 minutes at 160-180 won't hurt the rubber and it will heat it up thoroughly enough to expand the metal a tiny bit. Basically get it just hot enough that you can't quite hold it without gloves without it getting uncomfortable. If you think about it, the crank shaft is normally in 220 degree oil the whole time it's running, and the pulley absorbs heat from the crank and is normally hot.

lightningGA
02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Borrowed the pulley installer from Advance Auto......it worked great!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the responses!!!!