How did he get in my car?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How did he get in my car??

Pass
02-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,

Thought I would post this in Technical because I have technically no idea how someone managed to break into my car.

So I parked, locked my car, went into food place to pick up take out, I was in there for about 1.5 minutes. Then as I was approaching my car some guy was in my trunk and then ran off... he through what he had in his hands in my trunk and even was nice enough to shut my trunk before he ran off.

My question is how the heck did this guy get in my car, he had no tools or nothing. Thankfully I have nothing in my car, he actually tried to steal my stock CD player LOL the rim around it was poped off then he probably made a self decision that it was worth NOTHING!!!!

I did hesitate a little or else I would of poped a elbow into the back of his head. Then with our laws I probably would of got charged.... these things just aren't worth it....

Mike Jung
02-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Check to see if your power locks on all the doors are working.

You hear of a power lock units failing, & then that door lock doesn't function with it.

Pass
02-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Check to see if your power locks on all the doors are working.

You hear of a power lock units failing, & then that door lock doesn't function with it.

You know this was my first thought. Tested my locks 6-10 times last night and then did it again this morning... each time working perfectly. So baffled by this.... my brother said he can't get into my car in about 2 minutes with a crow bar and door hanger... but im pretty sure this guy had nothing visible on him...

Mike Jung
02-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Slim Jim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Jim_(lock_pick)) ?

DrFabulous
02-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Are you 100% sure you didn't accidentally hit your trunk release button and not notice? He might have walked by, seen an open trunk, and took advantage.

Pass
02-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Are you 100% sure you didn't accidentally hit your trunk release button and not notice? He might have walked by, seen an open trunk, and took advantage.

100% positive. He was in my cab first then poped the trunk.

zeddsdead
02-21-2010, 09:08 AM
key jigglers ?

i'd make a police report. you're probably not the first or last. maybe the police will be bored and put some effort into busting him.

Pass
02-21-2010, 09:26 AM
key jigglers ?

i'd make a police report. you're probably not the first or last. maybe the police will be bored and put some effort into busting him.

never heard of those... wow....

as for the police report... not worth my time.... First time my car got broken into they didn't do anything.... wasted an hour of my time tho...

my brother said we can install a alarm system on march break (which is in a week)... he said even a cheap one deters alot of thieves...

pretty sure Im going to be shopping for a 2006 G6 before summer so don't know if alarm is worth my time for this car

Pass
02-21-2010, 09:26 AM
this all occured in London, ontario... if anyone cares...

speedfreak1
02-21-2010, 10:33 AM
your sure he got into the cabin of the car? I have walked away from my car afew times and look back to see my trunk was open. Not anymore since I installed my alarm with a new key fob

Tank33
02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
I had issues with my trunk randomly popping open on it's own.

One night I came home from work, it was late, about midnight I am guessing, I get out, lock the doors, hear the horn honk, ok. Go upstairs, go to bed. I awake the next morning and the very first thing I do every day is I walk to my kitchen window and look into the parking lot to check up on er. I look out, and my trunk is open about 10 inches. I just fricken lost it, I sprinted to my room throw on some pants and I was out the door and down the stairs so fast you wouldn't have seen me! I got down there and thankfully nothing was taken or touched, I just could not believe how lucky I got.

Moral of the story, I unplugged the wiring harness going to the trunk popper, if I want in there, I will just use the key. It is also more comforting this way that someone cannot get into my trunk now even if they get inside the car.

I think in all honesty, ever vehicle I own from here on in I will unplug that wiring harness. All someone has to do is get inside your cab, and every vehicle has a button somewhere, easy easy access.

Pass
02-21-2010, 12:23 PM
your sure he got into the cabin of the car? I have walked away from my car afew times and look back to see my trunk was open. Not anymore since I installed my alarm with a new key fob

Im always very aware to keep my keys in my hand when I'm walking away from my car till I get about 50 yards or so away so I don't trigger the trunk.

He was definitly in my cab first because the trim (i think thats what you would call it), that goes around the CD player to the base of the tape deck was like 50% popped off. He scavened through my console and once he determined he was wasting his time HE went to the trunk to find he was still wasting his time!!

He took some stuff from my console and I can't even tell you what he took cuz its not important stuff (like papers and stuff - stuff being maybe a pack of gum?).

The sole purpose to this break in my opninion was probably because I left my Iphone dock in the lighter or maybe he seen the rings on the window from my GPS (that i never leave in my car).
I seriously never leave the Iphone dock sitting there and before I got out to get the food (i was only going to take a minute or two) I almost considered leaving my iphone in it!!!! I would of ran after him for that!!!! or hit him in the head with the hockey stick I have in my car as well!

Pass
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I had issues with my trunk randomly popping open on it's own.

One night I came home from work, it was late, about midnight I am guessing, I get out, lock the doors, hear the horn honk, ok. Go upstairs, go to bed. I awake the next morning and the very first thing I do every day is I walk to my kitchen window and look into the parking lot to check up on er. I look out, and my trunk is open about 10 inches. I just fricken lost it, I sprinted to my room throw on some pants and I was out the door and down the stairs so fast you wouldn't have seen me! I got down there and thankfully nothing was taken or touched, I just could not believe how lucky I got.

Moral of the story, I unplugged the wiring harness going to the trunk popper, if I want in there, I will just use the key. It is also more comforting this way that someone cannot get into my trunk now even if they get inside the car.

I think in all honesty, ever vehicle I own from here on in I will unplug that wiring harness. All someone has to do is get inside your cab, and every vehicle has a button somewhere, easy easy access.

WOW what a FANTASTIC idea.... I will be disabling the trunk next weekend when I am home... unless this is something really easy to do? with no tools that is.

GrandAmMe
02-21-2010, 12:41 PM
WOW what a FANTASTIC idea.... I will be disabling the trunk next weekend when I am home... unless this is something really easy to do? with no tools that is.

Just turn the valet switch "ON". This will disable the trunk release motor until you turn valet back off. Just look for a switch on the trunk lid that says ON--OFF.

Pass
02-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Just turn the valet switch "ON". This will disable the trunk release motor until you turn valet back off. Just look for a switch on the trunk lid that says ON--OFF.

thanks alot I really appreciate your advice and everyone else' for that matter...

2000 GT Coupe
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
you need to pull the door panel away a little bit to reach the connector for the trunk.

Tank, I noticed that the wiring for the door popper goes right by a screw that holds the panel on the first time I pulled the panel and replaced I would also get the random trunk popping. I pulled the panel again and found the screw had contacted the wires and was shorting them, thus popping the trunk. I moved the wires slightly wrapped them and never had another problem.

Pass
02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
found the switch with no problems at ill.. just used my key to slide it over...

so i will put all my critical stuff in there from now on...

Mike Jung
02-21-2010, 03:47 PM
found the switch with no problems at ill.. just used my key to slide it over...

so i will put all my critical stuff in there from now on...
Note: In the winter time...the key hole can freeze shut.

Don't ask me how I know...lol

Tank33
02-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Ah, personally for me, I never use the trunk. I know with that wiring harness unplugged, there is no way of electronic means of gaining entry.

Since I bought my car over 2 years ago, I have opened the trunk MAYBE 10 times. I do not ever use it. Also come to think of it, I have not even used the back seats either. Not a single person has been in the back seats. I don't trust people, they will get something dirty or tear my leather!

Pauljp
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Are these valet switches only on older models?
I have a 03GAGT and have never seen one on my trunk lock.
I'm sure that I've looked before.

tomh
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
my gfs cobalt got broken into.. the doors were locked.. not sure if he used a slim jim or had some kind of electronic device.. the cop told us there was a bunch of kids they arrested a year ago sitting in a walmart parking lot that that had some kind of electronic device that could "record" the frequency of your keyless remote that you used to lock it.. and they could then unlock it with this device.. so im sure there are more people in the world that can do such a thing.

Pass
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Are these valet switches only on older models?
I have a 03GAGT and have never seen one on my trunk lock.
I'm sure that I've looked before.

mine is a 2000 GT so its probably similar to yours....

those electronic signal stealers actually exists?

stonemason90
02-24-2010, 12:42 AM
do you have remote locks? because my remote lock actually unlocked another grand am one time.... i walked up to my car and hit the unlock button and i saw both cars lights light up..... i was like oops.... and locked it back and just used my key to get into mine..... also ive heard of people using the universal replacements to break into cars before. also... ive had a problem with the door popping open but its a different type of situation i would unlock my doors and the trunk would pop open.... i took it to the dealer and they said it was a short in the remote receiver in the car itself.

stonemason90
02-24-2010, 12:45 AM
mine is a 2000 GT so its probably similar to yours....

those electronic signal stealers actually exists?

im pretty sure you can use a universal replacement to do it the thing is.... you gotta know what your doing..... so either you install them or learned how just to break into cars.... theyre pretty complicated to work and take awhile if you dont know what your doing....

edit: also the 03s do have them... theyre the little switch on the latch in the trunk also you can just unhook the harness at the latch itsself if you wanted to its easier to get to than the one in the door....

SkiZZor
02-24-2010, 07:08 PM
I had locked my keys in my car while I was at a friend's house one time. I started calling AAA, and while I was on hold, he grabbed a lawn flag out of the ground and unlocked my car in a matter of 30 seconds.

I guess the best advice would be is don't keep anything in plain sight (or in the car at all for that matter) cause it doesn't seem like it takes much to get in these cars.

Ajaxus
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM
I was really hoping this thread would be about a squirrel bouncing around the inside of your car, based on the title, total disappointment. :(