Oil filter replacement every 2nd oil change. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter replacement every 2nd oil change.

Pauljp
02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Well as the title says, I have heard that it is acceptable to change the oil filter every other oil change. I have been told that the filter is used to trap contaminants like metal filings and other particles, and not simply because the oil is dark in color. It goes on to say that the oil will be dark in color within a thousand kilometers or so and does not mean that the filter must be changed at that time. It says that this is done with transmission fluid as well, simply open the drain plug until empty, put it back in and top it up. Quick and easy. It has nothing to do with saving money, the cost of an oil filter is minimal. It simply states that it is not necessary to change it every time.
Does anyone else do it this way?

SSRacer
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I see it as cheap insurance to go ahead and change it every oil change.

Transmissions don't get the fluid changed nearly as often so I would definitely replace the filter at the same time on those.

Laser57
02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
And doing that with a transmission is a BAD idea. If the filter looses enough flow the transmission does not have enough pressure it will begin to destroy the bands and clutches.

Malaclypse
02-25-2010, 11:42 PM
As SSRacer said: Its cheap insurance.

One thing about oil filters is you can't really tell how much junk is in there. From what I was taught in school, if the oil filter becomes too restricted for oil pressure to be maintained, oil will be diverted and flow to the engine unfiltered. I'd rather not have that happen.

Oh, and thanks for making me stop to think. I usually run my oil between 6 - 8k miles (its synthetic) and now I'm considering doing a midrange filter change. Cheap insurance, after all.

AaronGTR
02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, you are better off just changing it. Besides being cheap insurance, a clean filter will flow better and you'll lose less power to pumping loss and drag from the oil pump. If you are running your oil long enough, then changing the filter every oil change isn't a big deal. You don't need to change oil every 3,000 miles. With a good modern synthetic or blend from Castrol, Mobil1, or Valvoline, you can run the oil for 5,000-7,000 miles. :thumbs:

hahano404
02-26-2010, 04:00 PM
its not a good idea. especially on engines more prone to sludge.

Pauljp
02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I figured.

rx7-5.0
03-02-2010, 07:39 AM
A lot of times the filters need changed before the oil does. Unless you are spending money on the expensive ones. Its not that hard just to throw a cheap ac delco or fram on there from wal mart for $3.

SSRacer
03-02-2010, 07:44 AM
A lot of times the filters need changed before the oil does. Unless you are spending money on the expensive ones. Its not that hard just to throw a cheap ac delco or fram on there from wal mart for $3.

I wouldn't throw a fram on there if you paid me

AaronGTR
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
^This.

Fram sucks. One A/C Delco, or mobil1 or K&N if you want something better. You can also run a taller filter on these cars with more filtering and oil capacity if you want. They will last one full oil change no problem, and give less restriction. No need to change filters twice in an oil change.

rx7-5.0
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Didn't know there where problems with fram. worked in oil shop and used them on most cars and never had problems. I usually get the ac delco cuz its cheaper though.

Pauljp
03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I've also heard that the filter goes on hand tight and not use the filter wrench.
Put it on as tight as you can with one hand is enough.

AaronGTR
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Didn't know there where problems with fram. worked in oil shop and used them on most cars and never had problems. I usually get the ac delco cuz its cheaper though.

Yeah, they have a reputation for very cheap construction and poor filtration. There was an article I read online where a guy actually used lab equipment to measure the filtration of a bunch of filters... ie flow restriction, size of particles let through, etc... and fram was the worst of all tested. He also cut them apart to look at their construction and materials. Basically you get a fram filter if you don't give a damn about your car. lol

I've also heard that the filter goes on hand tight and not use the filter wrench.

Yes, for the most part that is true. You can get those filters with the textured outside now too for better grip, and you can pretty much tighten them by hand and it is enough. Of course you still are supposed to oil the rubber ring first and check for leaks after starting the engine. I usually still give my filters a half turn with a wrench after hand tightening. Not excessive but still comes off easy enough with a wrench.

rx7-5.0
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

hand tight is plenty good. put a little oil on the rubber gasket and make sure the old rubber gasket came off with the old filter. Don't use a filter wrench to put it on.
I actually have heard of people that get it hand tight and then loosen it a quarter turn, but I wouldn't recommend. hand tight is fine.

teambeechstreet
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, they have a reputation for very cheap construction and poor filtration. There was an article I read online where a guy actually used lab equipment to measure the filtration of a bunch of filters... ie flow restriction, size of particles let through, etc... and fram was the worst of all tested. He also cut them apart to look at their construction and materials. Basically you get a fram filter if you don't give a damn about your car. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZT8aMlARY

burgett2103
03-03-2010, 10:31 PM
my 97,xxx gagt has used a fram since she was born and have never had any problems

Mike Jung
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
my 97,xxx gagt has used a fram since she was born and have never had any problems
Either does Honda USA.
(Honda USA oil filters, are made by Fram.)

But I am not going to use them lol

I use NAPA Gold (aka: Wix, CarQuest Premuim Blue) oil filters for my rides.

Mike Jung
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZT8aMlARY
Nice holes !

lol

teambeechstreet
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Either does Honda USA.
(Honda USA oil filters, are made by Fram.)

Some Honda filters are made by Filtech (Dana/Wix), others are made by Toyo Roki, but a majority are made by ****ty ol Honeywell.

GA2000GTSpeed
03-04-2010, 12:16 AM
ehhh i go with Mobil1 synthetic with bosch filter because autozone normally has some type of deal on them. always change the filter with the oil change, you could go every 2 with a really good filter but theres no point in doing it.