High idle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High idle

dudelove45
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Hey all,

I wanted to know what could possibly be the problem. When I start it up, it'll idle anywhere betwen 1500 and 2500. And it will continue to hold the idle even when I put it into gear and drive. Sometimes, it'll even 'slam' into gear and my torque converter sometimes won't unlock when i push the pedal. Im swapping the motor and tranny in may when i have 2 weeks off vacation. Just need to know if it'll last til then and what could I do to ensure this motor lasts til then. Please help!!!!

mfuller
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Any trouble codes?

dudelove45
02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Any trouble codes?

I haven't checked it in a while, but it did come up with a TPS code, but that sensor has been replaced 3 times in the past year. last time was about 4 months ago. I've heard that it maybe due to my tranny being f**ked. When it isn't idling high, im having bad hunting to the point where it stalls. I just wanna make her last til the i can do the swap.

mfuller
02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Sounds like maybe a vacuum leak somewhere.

350rs
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
i JUST solved that problem on mine i think. but it required a strong over heating to cure. It may have been that i replaced the TB gasket. When i did that i cleaned the throttle plate pretty good. And the passage for the IAC valve. Its been running like a champ ever since. Now which of those three were the cause? i couldnt tell ya. but i know my plate had a good amount of junk on it. i simply sprayed it with carb cleaner and wiped it off real good. bolted it all back together and fired it up. I use to get that high idle fairly often before that.

Laser57
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I haven't checked it in a while, but it did come up with a TPS code, but that sensor has been replaced 3 times in the past year. last time was about 4 months ago. I've heard that it maybe due to my tranny being f**ked. When it isn't idling high, im having bad hunting to the point where it stalls. I just wanna make her last til the i can do the swap.

It might be the TP sensor that is doing it. My uncle had problems with his ideling too low (to the point of stalling) because of the TP sensor on his 95 Grand Am (3100). It might go the other way and cause it to idle too high. The TP sensor somethimes will not be bad, but will apear bad if they get moisture in them. Before you go spending money, take the TP sensor off, take it inside to a warm, dry place and drench it in electrical cleaner to get all the moisture out of it. It might fix it, it might not, but it won't cost anything if it doesn't.

Laser57
02-26-2010, 06:06 PM
...it could also be the MAP sensor, but beings that is is throwing the code for the TP sensor, I'd start there.