This guy claims to run his tranny without Fluid? Did I hear that right? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : This guy claims to run his tranny without Fluid? Did I hear that right?

GrandAmMe
02-26-2010, 09:00 PM
So, I commented on this guys Turbo Grand Am video.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77U2qDYmKU

I asked if his tranny was built up and he said no. This was the response:

Him: "I just drained all of the fluid out of it so it would shift better, made a huge difference, been running without fluid for around a year now...i'd recommend it to anyone with a turbo"

Me: You run your tranny without fluid? Did you say that right ?

Him: Yes i did say it right, grand am transmissions actually shift better without fluid. They are "bi-media" transmissions, meaning they can be either pneumatic (air driven) or hydraulic (tranny fluid). Your transmission will last a little longer with transmission fluid on a normal day to day basis, but it is better in high performance applications to run without transmission fluid.

Is he just focking with me or is he actually serious? Wouldn't that just result in no movement?

Discuss.

Vegeta
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Pneumatic...thats hilarious. Pneumatic tools still need to be oiled.

GrandAmMe
02-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Pneumatic...thats hilarious. Pneumatic tools still need to be oiled.

Thats what im thinking. I have NEVER heard of a tranny to move at all with no oil. Sorry for the noobish question but doesn't the torque converter and clutch Paks need fluid to work properly?

PhantomLover007
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM
I hear a tranny dying in the VERY near future... lol lol

bp's97gagt
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
hes messing with you man

XtremeGaGt00
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Thats what im thinking. I have NEVER heard of a tranny to move at all with no oil. Sorry for the noobish question but doesn't the torque converter and clutch Paks need fluid to work properly?

yes...everything in the transmission requires oil pressure to operate correct. even if this guy "drained" all his fluid out..he obviously didnt because its shifting and driving. that trans will be TOAST in no time due to lack of pressure on the clutch packs allowing them to slip.

i_ammetal
02-27-2010, 12:43 AM
"I just drained all of the fluid out of it so it would shift better, made a huge difference, been running without fluid for around a year now...i'd recommend it to anyone with a turbo"

If you have to ask.... fall for it.

I mean go for it.

Complete bullsh!t. Prolly just messing with people.. see if they are dumb enough to ruin their tranny over believing someone on the other end of a computer.

DrFabulous
02-27-2010, 07:31 AM
He's trolling you hard lol

[ChaosweaveR]
02-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Guy is a douche.

lvemy3100
02-27-2010, 08:19 AM
he's trolling you hard lol

;1114930']guy is a douche.

qft

AaronGTR
02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
lol that guy is either totally messing with you, or he's a clueless douche bag and that isn't even his car and he's just pretending it is. The car won't even move without fluid in the transmission. The torque converter will just spin and never turn the trans without fluid inside to create friction. Plus fluid pressure is required to operate all the valves and what not inside.

Besides the fact that the seals inside the trans wouldn't hold air pressure, air is also compressible where as fluid is not. Air would never make enough pressure to operate the trans because it would just compress instead of exerting pressure on the components. Same reason brake lines and power steering uses fluid, not air. ;)

GrandAmMe
02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
lol that guy is either totally messing with you, or he's a clueless douche bag and that isn't even his car and he's just pretending it is. The car won't even move without fluid in the transmission. The torque converter will just spin and never turn the trans without fluid inside to create friction. Plus fluid pressure is required to operate all the valves and what not inside.

Besides the fact that the seals inside the trans wouldn't hold air pressure, air is also compressible where as fluid is not. Air would never make enough pressure to operate the trans because it would just compress instead of exerting pressure on the components. Same reason brake lines and power steering uses fluid, not air. ;)

What a dumbass.

rx7-5.0
03-02-2010, 06:35 AM
HAHA. where is the clip of his tranny going out? or did he not put it up? lol