Eibach springs won't fit??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Eibach springs won't fit???

FuriousG
03-01-2010, 03:23 AM
I ordered a set of Eibach springs last summer and I had the mechanics putting them on today (I needed new wheel bearings and decided to do it all today.) The mechanic called and says that the Eibach kit's inside diameter is too big to fit on the car. The stock springs are 14.6 and the Eibachs I have are 15.2. Did I possibly receive the wrong springs from PFYC or is this the right set? If it's the right set, then why wouldn't they fit on the car with stock replacement struts and strut mounts?

The part number on my Eibachs box is 3875.140; the same thing listed on the PFYC site (although I think I ordered froma different site.) Is it possible someone put the wrong springs in the box? I was really hoping to have my car lowered finally but now it looks like they aren't going to work. Anybody have a set of Eibachs that they had on their car and wouldn't mind measuring the inside diameter of the front springs for me?

FuriousG
03-01-2010, 03:55 AM
Just got off the phone with the mechanic...

Turns out the part number on the springs is 3875.001 (front) and 3875.002 (rear.)

The box has the right part number but somehow the website that I bought them from must have screwed up. Now I need to figure out where the hell I ordered them from. Either that or I'm out another $240 if I want to lower my car...

FuriousG
03-01-2010, 04:15 AM
I'm fed up now. Everything I can find online says that I have the right part numbers. I can only assume my mechanic is not doing it right.

He's putting the stock springs back on since I need to have my car back but now I'm not sure if I should try to put them on myself (don't have the tools), try another shop (might pay more money for the same results) or just give up. Obviously I can't resell the springs if they won't fit but I can't be certain they are wrong...

DrFabulous
03-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Honestly, you can do it yourself with hand tools and a spring compressor. I did my first set at age 18 by just working slowly and being patient. Its not very difficult.

FuriousG
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I could have done it myself except that I needed new front wheel hubs, had new struts, front strut mounts and the springs so I figured it's out of my scope since I barely can find the time to do much with my car lately. Easier to drop it off and let someone else do the work since it would all be my first time attempting this work.

Aside from that, after I posted, I drove over to the shop and got there in time to watch him take the driver's side front strut out and he showed me exactly what he was talking about. The top of the stock spring fit's very snug in the top strut plate but the Eibach springs have a few centimeters of movement since the diameter is approx 6 cm larger. He did not feel it would be safe to use the springs since they may shift around a bit on top.

My question now is, for those who have Eibach springs, did you buy new struts that had a larger top plate (thereby making your stock springs too small to fit) or did you just tighten everything down so that the springs don't shift around? I watch him do the work and I'm sure I could do it all myself pretty easily at the auto hobby shop on base but I'm concerned that it could be a safety hazard if the springs shift while the car is in motion. I drive fairly fast on the autobahn (average 120 mph on a good day) so I can't afford for any sort of looseness that may affect the car's handling. Are the Eibachs supposed to have this gap and will the compression on the strut prevent slippage once they are worn in a little bit?

Malaclypse
03-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Different car, but when I put Eibach's on my Monte Carlo, Everything was a snug fit. Nothing was loose on the upper strut mount or the lower spring seat.

Sounds like you may have the wrong springs.