Oil Mystery... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Mystery...

drumking1721
03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Alright I looked all over the site, and couldn't pin point anything. Here is my delema...
About a month ago I noticed the milky white foam goo on the oil cap. It was a little more than past winters, so I became a little concerned. I've watched it since then, and cleaned the cap every so often, but it keeps coming back. Now when you smell it, it smells like pure oil.
Now today I woke up about 2 ( I work 3rd shift) and went outside to check the car since it was warmer and nice out, the cap had water droplets on it along with the goo. I repeatedly check the dipstick, and its clean, no droplets or anything. I decided to take the car for a long ride since it was warmer, to see if it would overheat or run funny. Nothing happened. The car runs great honestly and sticks right below 200 degrees like it always has. I had the LIMs replaced 2 years ago on the dot with the new material. I opened the coolant reservoir and theres coolant in there, when its cold its right below where the two halves meet, and when its warm its just past the Max fill line, its always been this way since I had the gaskets replaced. When I opened the cap when I got back, the coolant looked a little darker (oil?), i dont know if this is because it's old or what. But like i said
-The car doesn't over heat
-Dipstick is clean
-Exhaust smells like exhaust and doesn't have the "white smoke"
-No real coolant loss
-It runs great

I just can't seem to pinpoint what's going on. I don't know whether or not to think its just a lot of condensation in the engine, or either the head or LIM gaskets. The car has 140,000 miles on it, and like I said runs great, and I drive 40 miles round trip to work everyday, but this foam crap won't go away. If you guys could at all help it would be great.

drumking1721
03-03-2010, 05:20 PM
any ideas?

drumking1721
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Anyways this is a shot in the dark too. I have an SCT hood with the cowls cut out, so it pretty much shoots cold are directly onto that from valve cover, and even when the car is running, that cover is chill. Could this be the cause too? Because the more and more i look, the 3400's dont really have head gasket issues, im not saying this is ruled out. But i know coolant does get darker as it ages and such. I just thought I would throw the hood thing out there too

GrandAmMe
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Mine had this when my thermostat was stuck open and the engine never really did get to opt temp thus the white residue. It should go away after a long drive after being up to opt temp. My dipstick looked fine too. Look inside your rockers and see if the white stuff is all inside there to. Mine was only in the oil filer hole. Good luck!

drumking1721
03-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Mine is only on the filler hole and valve cover,everything else is clean. PCV has some goo on it too

GrandAmMe
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
My PCV had some on it too. Try changing the oil yourself and clean everything really good. The reason I say change it yourself is because then you can see if your oil is really a milky color. this whole situation is quite nerve racking isn't it? Freaked me out quite a bit.

drumking1721
03-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, ill be changing it here in a couple weeks. Once I have a garage. The whole thing is odd, I'm just starting to think it's not the gaskets...we'll see. I would like some more imput, like if Aaron is out there

burgett2103
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
lol it's all up to aaron

GA2000GTSpeed
03-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I know I've read a thread on this before... i can not remember what the cause was...but its nothing to be worried about, i had it when i first got my car, now i don't know if theres a difference between conventional and synthetic oil with this but I've never had it with synthetic oil.

drumking1721
03-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Yeah...im pressuring him

drumking1721
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Question, when the car is cold my coolant is below the "cold full" line. I'm thinking this is because I have a drilled thermostat. This a good assumtion? Because if its drilled it never closes. Sorry if I mis type, I am on my blackberry. But if someone could help me out itd be great.

350rs
03-07-2010, 02:05 PM
why would you want a drilled thermostat? JW.

Is it really humid there?

drumking1721
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Because I was dumb. Zzp sold them, idk if they still do. So there is always coolant going thruough. And the last couple months yea...been snowin

350rs
03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
gotcha.

but i wouldnt be overly concerned if about it looking kinda bad if all your other fluids are in check. Keep an eye on everything for a bit.

GA2000GTSpeed
03-08-2010, 07:50 PM
just fill it back up, it'l be fine. all the thermo does is let a lil bit of coolent flow through all the time making it a pita to warm up. my buddy had a 00 GTP with a 160 drilled thermo, that damn car never warmed up in the winter, never anywhere near 160.