Wanting too lower my car... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wanting too lower my car...

Sparky'sGA01
03-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Hey guys I got a little extra tax money left over and looking too lower my car..
I dont wanna go extreme low Just an inch or inch and a half at most..

Im gonna have a local shop I always go too put them on for me...

What I wanna know is can I keep the stock struts and just get springs??
I have 81,000 miles on the car and it seems like getting strut and spring combos is what really makes it drop..

I been looking at this thread..

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51109

I was thinking either springtech springs with stock struts..
Or if i have too ill try and do springtech springs with springtech struts???

It says springtech will do around 1.5??

AAAnndd are my 18's gonna be ok with steering and stuff??

And there is no cambering or anything going on at all with a 1.5 inch drop??

so.. Any help or opinions would be great!!

thanks guys!

couple pics of mine..

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i154/NicoleMarie007/17400011-1.jpg

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i154/NicoleMarie007/17400010-1.jpg

2000 GT Coupe
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Springtech advertise 1.7 inch or so and after some miles it seems to settle, I think mine is almost 2 inch drop now. Stock struts will work, however they are not ideal as they do not recover quick enough for the stiffer spring rates. I am unsure about camber bolts or kits some say with the drop that the springtechs give you need camber kit. I had the alignment done before settling and at that time none was needed I plan on redoing the alignment about the time I put my summer 18's back on. If you want less drop eibach or h&R or one of the others may be a better choice I believe they only do 1.2 drop at the most and maybe only 3/4 inch drop. I used KYB GR2 struts I think they are the most commonly referred because of price and availability.

DrFabulous
03-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Don't keep using your stock struts. You'll already have them out to replace the springs, might as well throw in new struts while you're at it.

Personally, I would get H&R springs. Gives the car a little bit of a rake..... although when I had Intrax on my old ride, I liked that too- it sat pretty low.

DrFabulous
03-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Also, you can change the springs/struts yourself, you don't need to go to a shop. All you need to do is rent a spring compressor for like $15 from the local hardware store, and take your time. Its pretty simple.

burgett2103
03-03-2010, 09:33 PM
if you don't want excessive, i've read that eibach is like what 1.3" drop...?

Grreen99GT
03-03-2010, 09:43 PM
with that many miles you should definately replace the struts. why replace the springs now and replace the struts in another couple thousand miles, knock it all out at once. my choice - intrax

Sparky'sGA01
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
alright thanks guys, huge help.

Prolly go Intrax springs

...with KYB struts??

good combo?? How much will that drop me you guys think??

burgett2103
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
kyb struts would be good

GA2000GTSpeed
03-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Eibach's are 1.2-1.5 inch drop if i remember right, i know im going with the Eibach springs and KYB adjustable struts once i get my money in...

DrFabulous
03-04-2010, 09:16 AM
alright thanks guys, huge help.

Prolly go Intrax springs

...with KYB struts??

good combo?? How much will that drop me you guys think??

Intrax gives a decent drop, mine was probably 1.75" drop all around.

Sparky'sGA01
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Intrax gives a decent drop, mine was probably 1.75" drop all around.

Alright thanks might stick with this..

thanks guys hopefully ill get something started and start ordering in a week or so..

Cant wait for the outcome!

DrFabulous
03-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Alright thanks might stick with this..

thanks guys hopefully ill get something started and start ordering in a week or so..

Cant wait for the outcome!

You really should do it yourself. Get together with some car guys, grab some beer, and start working.

AaronGTR
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Eibach springs are the best to use. You can use drop springs with stock struts if they are in good shape, but they will wear out stock struts faster. If you already have 80k+ miles on the stock struts, chances are they are getting worn out already and you should just replace them at the same time. The car will ride much better with some quality aftermarket struts along with the new springs. KYB GR2's are a good choice, or the adjustable AGX's if you can afford it.

hahano404
03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
You really should do it yourself. Get together with some car guys, grab some beer, and start working.

:ec: beer and spring compressors equal headache... or head loss.

DrFabulous
03-04-2010, 06:27 PM
:ec: beer and spring compressors equal headache... or head loss.

Or a smashing good time.

Sparky'sGA01
03-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I might think about giving it a shot..

Me and dad could pull it off.. its just getting my lazy a$$ up too do it lol

Malaclypse
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Just to note: Eibach 1.3" drop springs, KYB GR2s and 17" wheels = a jarring ride over some expansion joints and potholes.

KYB AGXs on their softest setting would be murder with a set of 18s on drop springs.

Maybe I'm starting to get old...

AaronGTR
03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
^ I would say so. I've got eibachs with GR2's and 17" wheels and my ride is awesome! And most people who have ridden in the car think it's smoother than stock. It's a little more bouncy (almost really needs the stiffer AGX's for proper dampening) but not uncomfortable at all.

To the OP, you asked about camber problems..... any time you drop a car, and almost any time you replace suspension components really, you will need to get an alignment done. You are changing the camber angle and changing the position of components and they will need to be adjusted. I always recommend eibachs because they are the smallest effective drop combined with stiffer spring rates and that gives the best handling. Over lowering a car can create a bunch of other problems from bump steer, to extra camber loss during cornering, to bottoming out on the bump stops. Eibachs also allow close to stock camber specs without using camber bolts which are not very effective or safe. Other springs that drop lower won't do that so you may end up with some extra negative camber that can't be dialed out and you'll wear tires a little faster than normal.

DrFabulous
03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I might think about giving it a shot..

Me and dad could pull it off.. its just getting my lazy a$$ up too do it lol

Its much more rewarding to do the work yourself, I think.

adam139
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
^ I would say so. I've got eibachs with GR2's and 17" wheels and my ride is awesome! And most people who have ridden in the car think it's smoother than stock. It's a little more bouncy (almost really needs the stiffer AGX's for proper dampening) but not uncomfortable at all.

To the OP, you asked about camber problems..... any time you drop a car, and almost any time you replace suspension components really, you will need to get an alignment done. You are changing the camber angle and changing the position of components and they will need to be adjusted. I always recommend eibachs because they are the smallest effective drop combined with stiffer spring rates and that gives the best handling. Over lowering a car can create a bunch of other problems from bump steer, to extra camber loss during cornering, to bottoming out on the bump stops. Eibachs also allow close to stock camber specs without using camber bolts which are not very effective or safe. Other springs that drop lower won't do that so you may end up with some extra negative camber that can't be dialed out and you'll wear tires a little faster than normal.

have you had a problem getting onto alignment racks with your body kit? i was at a firestone the other day and they wouldnt align my car because they said my bumper was too low/stuck out too far

AaronGTR
08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
have you had a problem getting onto alignment racks with your body kit? i was at a firestone the other day and they wouldnt align my car because they said my bumper was too low/stuck out too far

hehe, YES! I have a very hard time getting an alignment done. They usually have to use some boards to get me on the alignment rack. Same with some dyno's. I've been told it's difficult to align also because my wheels sit too far inside the wheel well with the RK bumper/side skirts. I'm hoping once I get new wheels and tires that will make things easier. However I plan on going to a race shop near by for my next alignment, because their rack is flush mounted in the floor specifically so they can do lowered cars. ;)

Stefalicious
08-03-2010, 06:36 PM
hehe, YES! I have a very hard time getting an alignment done. They usually have to use some boards to get me on the alignment rack. Same with some dyno's. I've been told it's difficult to align also because my wheels sit too far inside the wheel well with the RK bumper/side skirts. I'm hoping once I get new wheels and tires that will make things easier. However I plan on going to a race shop near by for my next alignment, because their rack is flush mounted in the floor specifically so they can do lowered cars. ;)

Where is that place at?? I might have to go there also when I lower mine. lol

AaronGTR
08-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Where is that place at?? I might have to go there also when I lower mine. lol

It's here in Tampa, just north of the airport. Vortex Motorsports... they have a "cars & coffee" style meet there on a saturday morning once a month I think.