OverHeating problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : OverHeating problem

X 180PROOF X
03-05-2010, 06:17 AM
i bought my 2001 gagt during the summer. i drove it with no problems. for the first time yesterday my temps shot up and overheated. i put coolant in it cause it was low. When i first started up my car it seemed to shake more than ussual. my heat doesnt work and when im driving itll overheat then drop to normal then shoot back up and overheat agian. there isnt a leak that i can see newhere. theres also a milky white liquid on my oil cap. i thought there was a problem with the spark plug wires n plugs causing it to misfire and shake the car. but they were all fine. im frustrated about this and really could use some help cause im afriead to drive it.

Ajaxus
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
http://grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82522

Same issue, few threads down.

It seems all of our 01 gt's went to **** at the same time this week..off to fix mine now, lol

hahano404
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
eww. sorry but not an easy fix.

hahano404
03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
to contiue off that. being that there is residue on you cap. that shows signs of a coolant and oil mixture. there are two common reasons this may occur. one is the lim or lower intake manifold gasket leak. or two blown/warped head/headgasket.
prices of repair varies between 300 to 900 depending which is the issue

both will cause the symptoms that you are seeing and i dont advise driving it.

350rs
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
wait wait wait.. its not necessarily a coolant oil mixture. its just water. with it getting really hot then cooling its bringing more moisture through the valve covers. That could be all the more it is. Find your leak before you drive anymore. As stated it could be the LIM or a head gasket or even the whole head.

hahano404
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
true, never really see that though, being in the south.

350rs
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
ah, forgot to check where hes from.

X 180PROOF X
03-26-2010, 06:22 AM
OK so i found out the problem. i was leaking antifreeze into the 2 cylinder through a rusted/rotted head gasket. i took apart the whole block and im replacing my headers and all gaskets along with the head bolts and exsuast maifold bolts. i also picked up a new thermostat and belt. its costing me a pretty penny (even doing it myself) but ill pay nething to get my baby back up and running. thanks for the help guys