Tires [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Lightbringer12
03-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi I am fairly new to this forum but I figured I would get your alls opinions on tires.
I just bought a set of Toyo Proxies T1R, waiting for the tires to come in to be installed on my 2000 Grand AM GT Coupe. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these tires. I live in Kentucky so the weather is pretty decent that I should not need a year round tire. Any thoughts and opinions regarding tires is appreciated.
Thanks

Tonyyank
03-05-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81627&highlight=Toyo+Proxies

Lightbringer12
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the help.

AaronGTR
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Um, do you drive your car year round? Or do you have a winter beater?

That is a summer only tire. I used to live in Michigan, and I've driven through Kentucky and Tennessee in the winter... you guys still get cold weather and snow. Not only does that tire not have the correct tread for gripping in snow, the rubber compound is not designed to grip at cold temperatures so even on clean dry pavement they will not grip well if it is cold. You should only use those tires if you have another set of wheels and winter tires to use, or if you lived in a state like Florida or Texas. ;)

[ChaosweaveR]
03-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons. Nuff said.

Lightbringer12
03-07-2010, 09:37 AM
I do want to drive on these tires year round. In Kentucky weather. I know in winter time you take it slow anyways but I should be safe though right? It does not snow horribly here and weather wise it sticks around near freezing.

H.O. Driver
03-07-2010, 10:40 AM
summer tires on snow make it really bad. I got caught in a breif snow storm with my summer tires, only one inch and i couldn't get it up the incline in my driveway. and it only climbs 1ft high in 30ft long, very small grade.

Besides, if it gets below 40* and has any moisture on the roads it will make it slick for a summer only tire. Better safe than sorry, and you will get plenty of traction with a good all season tire.

notsoaveragej0e
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
I do want to drive on these tires year round. In Kentucky weather. I know in winter time you take it slow anyways but I should be safe though right? It does not snow horribly here and weather wise it sticks around near freezing.

driving in anything below 45degrees with a summer tire is a great way to mod the front end of your car with a tree.

Get a cheap set of snow tires for the winter, if youd like to avoid that situation.

DrFabulous
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
driving in anything below 45degrees with a summer tire is a great way to mod the front end of your car with a tree.

Get a cheap set of snow tires for the winter, if youd like to avoid that situation.

This is very true, ask me how I know.

bricooper78
03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
uh drfab, did your ride go eat a snowman or something??? lol

I had a set of the cooper zeon 2xs on my 01, and got a sleet storm.
at 40 mph (which is a safe speed for us in iowa in bad weather lol) i went sideways almost under a truck.

then, leaving a gas station, the back end came around and i about ditched it. i was just getting rolling leaving a gas station.

DO NOT run summer-only in snow or winter!!!!!!!!!!! i did it for about 3 weeks, and it was 3 weeks too long

* i did end up with some raiken raptor tires, (i think the guy said they're some off brand of bridgestone maybe??) and they did really well in town and on the highway, with the exception of ice, i have a hill, and once it iced over, i found a new way to get to work lol

DrFabulous
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
uh drfab, did your ride go eat a snowman or something??? lol

I assume you're talking about my av?

Big snowstorm Christmas Eve. Piles of snow were everywhere.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs260.ash1/18731_10100120638032350_13908500_58421741_1446786_ n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs160.snc3/18731_10100121551806140_13908500_58449950_6391297_ n.jpg

Side note- the truck you can see on the left- my uncles' 05 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon.... MUCH better than the GA in the snow, even with my snow tires lol

Lightbringer12
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I want to thank everyone for the help. I might end up getting a second set for winter, I will keep you guys updated on how the tires work.

DrFabulous
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I want to thank everyone for the help. I might end up getting a second set for winter, I will keep you guys updated on how the tires work.

You will never regret buying winter tires.

bricooper78
03-07-2010, 10:50 PM
100% agree, a good set of tires is one of the best feelings in the world

sidenote: drfab, that didn't damage the lower half of the bumper cover by any chance did it? i've figured out that they aren't the strongest part ever put on a car

DrFabulous
03-07-2010, 11:02 PM
100% agree, a good set of tires is one of the best feelings in the world

sidenote: drfab, that didn't damage the lower half of the bumper cover by any chance did it? i've figured out that they aren't the strongest part ever put on a car

Nope

its all scratched up on the bottom, but thats more from being dropped on H&Rs and rubbing when I pull out of the garage than anything

bricooper78
03-07-2010, 11:05 PM
wow, i'm amazed man, i remember way way back to the chevy beretta gtz's gettin them plastic fronts knocked off in the snow

DrFabulous
03-07-2010, 11:06 PM
wow, i'm amazed man, i remember way way back to the chevy beretta gtz's gettin them plastic fronts knocked off in the snow

I've seen many GT's with busted bumpers, I've never had a problem. I just drive slow when I'm going through snow.

xxbackhillxx
03-08-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm a big fan of these...

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Passenger-Car/Azenis-RT-615-14

psy7
03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
i have falken ziexs on mine and they do fine in winter,but mine arent performance tires

skalies
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS Pole Position - Great cross between a performance tire and a touring tire. Great hydro-evacuation, quiet ride, and grip. The grip will actually last longer as the tread wears down because of the dual layer tread. Also, unlike most performance tires they come with a mileage warranty.

AaronGTR
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

Doesn't matter how much or little it snows. The rubber compound in those tires is not designed to work in cold temps. Plus the tread is not designed for driving on any snow at all... meaning zero. There are not small treads blocks or sipes in the shoulders, nothing to bite into snow. Driving those tires in cold weather would be like driving on slick ice.

Just trust us and get a set of all seasons or better yet winter specific tires for winter driving. All my family in Michigan drive on Blizzaks in the winter now. The difference in grip levels between them and even all season tires is amazing.

DrFabulous
03-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Just trust us and get a set of all seasons or better yet winter specific tires for winter driving. All my family in Michigan drive on Blizzaks in the winter now. The difference in grip levels between them and even all season tires is amazing.

:werd

I have TripleTreads on the Focus, and they're a great all around tire... but NOTHING compared to the snows on my GA

bricooper78
03-08-2010, 10:50 PM
tirerack used to have a deal of steelies and blizzaks (or whatever winter meats you wanted) for like 115 a pop, that was at least a couple years ago

Lightbringer12
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM
The New Toyo Proxes T1R are awesome so sticky and just started using them. The new tires feel alot smoother and stick better to the road than my last tires, I had Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position. Overall great driving so far. I got lucky and the place where I got the tires does free nitrogen inflation for the lifetime of the tires. I will continue to give updates but so far these Toyo Proxes are putting the old Bridgestones to shame....