View Full Version : Car won't start...suspect fuel pump

DarkMagna
03-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Hello.

First, the background:
'98 Grand Am SE
3.1 liter
Automatic

I drive the car everyday. I've not had any problems or indications of something about to go wrong.

Yesterday, I drove the car to the dog-park...no problem and nothing to alert me to a potential problem..
I drove home....no problem and nothing to alert me to a potential problem.

I parked in my driveway and then grabbed some cleaning supplies from the house.
I cleaned the interior of my car. I moved/removed/disconnected absolutely nothing. All I did was a good wipedown with cleaning cloths and then ArmorAll.

When I was done, I went to pull the car into the carport, but it won't start.
When I turn the key, I don't hear the fuel pump prime.

Of course, I suspect a bad fuel pump.

However, I'm hesitant to go through all the work of removing it right now, until I'm more certain that it is actually the pump. I've got a full tank of gas, and it's not exactly a small job to remove the tank to get to the pump.

I've checked the fuses (driver's side, end of dashboard). They all look good.
I've checked the fuses under the hood, next to the battery. They all look good.

I also thought that it might be the Theft Loc system. While I was wiping stuff down, I wiped across the ignition switch a couple of times to clean it. Each time I touched it, the door chimes chimed.

So I went through the "turn the key on for 10 minutes, turn it off, repeat" cycle. That didn't fix it.

What else can I check without removing the tank?

Don't these cars have a fuel pump bypass circuit??
You know, the unused circuit that, once you apply power, gives direct power to the pump. Apply power to the circuit, pump fires-up, then you know that the problem is in your power to the pump, not the pump itself.

What about a relay?
Is there a fuel pump relay? If so, can I swap that relay with a different one to test?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

XtremeGaGt00
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
i personally would try pounding on the gas tank with a blunt object..(rubber mallot..somthing of that nature) that wont puncture the tank while someone tries cranking the car...if it starts, theres your prob.

rx7-5.0
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
yea pound on the bottom of the tank with your fist....that usually does the trick