car shakes violently, help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car shakes violently, help

onesexyga
03-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Friday night I drove my car on the highway, 75 mph, no problems. Drove it today and its shaking badly. It seems to be coming more from the back. It starts around 50 mph and gets worse the faster I go. No howls, thumps, or any other noises associated with it. Braking, accelerating, cornering left or right, coasting, all have no effect on the shaking. I jacked the car up, pulled the rear tires, checked the rims over for missing weights, cracks, bends, etc., checked the tires for pressure and to see if anything was lodged in them, checked the hubs for play, checked the bushings for slop, looks for any foreign matter lodged in there, pulled the calipers, checked the pads and rotors, inspected the struts and springs, reassembled and torqued everything to spec. Drove the car after I took it apart and it seemed fine, despite the fact that I didn't do anything. After 5 minutes or so of driving at highway speed the shake slowly came back until it was bad as it was before. The car is shaking to the point that I can't see out my side view mirrors. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

onesexyga
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I should add the car tracks perfectly straight down the road even now.

Laser57
03-08-2010, 11:38 AM
You might have a tire out of ballance. It might only loose its balance when it gets hot and that would explain why it reapeared. If one of the bands in the tire just broke it would explain it. You might not notice a difference in the tires appearence but inside the tire it could be messed up.

hahano404
03-08-2010, 12:27 PM
if your are sure its coming from the back. rotate them wheels/tires from back to front.
this should point to your wheels/tires not being balanced if the shaking has moved to the front.

skalies
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
In addition to the weights, check the tires for roundness - they could have thrown a belt.

onesexyga
03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I'll give that a shot. Any other thoughts?

homeskillit37
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
My Buick was doing the same thing. I've had it about 6 months turned out there was that slime in one of the tires causing it.(it was in there when i bought it and didnt know). It went straight and only vibrated around 70mph on the highway. I don't know if you have ever put that slime in, but that is just another thought.

AaronGTR
03-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I say it's probably the tires. Even if you can't see any weights missing, you still might have lost one, or it could be a broken belt or something inside the tire that you can't see. Try swapping them to the front and see what that does, or take them to a tire shop and have them checked on a balance machine. They should be able to tell pretty quickly if the tire is bad.

onesexyga
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
No tire slime, I wouldn't touch that stuff. No lost weights, rims are pretty dirty and I would have seen a mark. I'm inclined to believe the belt theory.

Laser57
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
No tire slime, I wouldn't touch that stuff. No lost weights, rims are pretty dirty and I would have seen a mark. I'm inclined to believe the belt theory.

If it just started doing it, its probally pretty safe to assume somebody didn't put slime it when you weren't looking. In other cases that will make a huge difference. Somebody used it my brothers old truck without driving it arround afterwards and when I went to ballance the tire it was 1 pound and 5 ounces off.

onesexyga
03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Incase anyone cares, changing the tires seems to have remedied the problem.

PhantomLover007
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Bad spots in the tires?

meanse99
03-25-2010, 03:05 PM
drive it till it shakes quickly jack it up pull the tires and check the tread i have seen tires that look fine cold but the belts swell up once warm