Cracked Intake Manifold - Trac Off Light?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Intake Manifold - Trac Off Light??

maxxoholic420
03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
So I just finished swapping in a new transmission into my GA and everything seems to be working fine. The only problem is that the Trac Off light goes off after getting warmed up upon start. I can eventually press the button and turn traction control back on. Sometimes it will randomly pop up during driving too but not as often as when starting up. During the process of working on the car I crack a little bit of the intake manifold. First I tried running it like that but it ran slightly rough so I put tape around the crack and it runs almost perfect now. Almost. Could this be setting off my Trac Off light?

GrandAmMe
03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Not at all. The intake and traction control have nothing to do with each other. It would most likely be a bad wheel bearing/sensor.

maxxoholic420
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Not at all. The intake and traction control have nothing to do with each other. It would most likely be a bad wheel bearing/sensor.

I agree with you completely. However, when my transmission started to slip a lot, the Trac Off light turned on. Also, when I removed the airbox and forgot to plug in the air temp sensor, I've had the Trac Off light turn on. When I plugged it back in, it turned off within a minute or two. So I guess anytime the engine is even running a little rough it turns off the traction control.

GrandAmMe
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree with you completely. However, when my transmission started to slip a lot, the Trac Off light turned on. Also, when I removed the airbox and forgot to plug in the air temp sensor, I've had the Trac Off light turn on. When I plugged it back in, it turned off within a minute or two. So I guess anytime the engine is even running a little rough it turns off the traction control.

hmm now that I think about it you could be right. But im still leaning towards a bad wheel sensor/bearing. I know on the jetta base model they dont have a button for traction control even though it has it and you have to unlug the maf and plug it back it to deactivate it.

AaronGTR
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
The IAT sensor shouldn't have anything to do with traction control. It is used for ignition timing adjustments and that's it. You might get an SES light with it unplugged... if the trac off light was also on, it was probably because of the wheel speed sensor or whatever it was setting it off, and it was just coincidence.

As for the intake manifold, try putting a little JB weld over the crack. That is a much better fix than tape. ;)

maxxoholic420
03-21-2010, 07:52 PM
It was definitely because of the cracked intake. Swapped out the intake last Tuesday and haven't had the light Trac Off light turn on since. As a side note I also got my SES light to turn off. There's a vacuum line that runs from the intake manifold to the throttle body. It tore when I was taking it off because it was so dry rotted. So I ran down to Autozone and got a nice new one. SES turned off and stayed off since. My error code was p0440. It means there is something malfuctioning with the EVAP system. I tried replacing the gas cap and the solenoid by the engine and still nothing. I was about to tear out the whole rest of the EVAP system and put new parts in. Good thing I found out it was just a $.50 piece of hose. =P