humming noise... dammnn [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : humming noise... dammnn

Pass
03-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey guys,

So yesterday out of no-where my front end starts humming hardcore at speeds in excess of 40km/h. Just want to confirm that this is most likely a wheel bearing. It deffinitly sounds like one thats for sure. Also my wheel also has a grinding (grinding is a strong word more like rubbing) feeling when Im at those speeds and lane change to the right. Doesn't happen at low speeds (the rubbing or the noises)

What a piss off. I wasn't planning on driving home this weekend (I live roughly an hour away from our full repair shop where I can rip and replace what needs to be (with help from my dad and brother of course :) ))

Can anything happen worse if I keep driving it like this for a week? Can I cause additional damage...

thanks for all replies...

350rs
03-16-2010, 10:15 PM
dont know for sure, but it could come apart. and if it gets too hot ( assuming its lost its lubricant or whatever it uses to keep it from heating) it could warp the rotor or wreck a wheel if it can even get that hot.

all totally hypothetical as i have no idea how these particular bearings are assembled.

patrick1883
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Most likely you would be fine to drive for a week. The bearing wont come apart because the axle nut and the axle shaft hold it together. The chances are slim that you can hurt anything because the bearing is part of the hub assembly. The hub contains the bearing and wheel speed sensor in one unit, so the hub is already junk. The only real possibility would be the slim chance that the bearing would get bad enough to overheat and weld itself together locking up your wheel. But if you can still touch the outside of the wheel after driving without burning yourself, then your fine. But do fix it as soon as possible, don't push your luck.

remiljr
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree with patrick, I drove a malibu with bad wheel bearing for months, worst case is it will lock up but that has never happened to me or anyone i know. i think if you turn right and the noise go's away its going to be your driver's side wheel bearing. Fronts are easy b/c its a hub and bearing assembly. replaced mine in 1 hour. The rears on the other hand i think are press in? unsure but sounds like your issue is up front driver side anyway.

Pass
03-17-2010, 04:10 PM
thanks for all replies... it seems as if its getting progressively louder. I just called canadian tire and they can install it for for 240 with taxes (part including). Im just hesitant cuz Im not 100% what side it is and it will cost another 50 to get them to "inspect it" (crock of shi*!)

options are A - risk it and drive it home friday to do it myself (150km)
or B - get crappy tire to replace it

I think its the right side. if I curve to the right its got more of a grindy feeling. Its so hard to tell. But this part is the HUB right? has the bearing inside with the sensor and what not I think...

patrick1883
03-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes it is call a hub assembly. There is a rule of thumb for wheel hubs; which ever way you turn and the noise gets quieter, it is the side your turning towards that is bad. The reason for this is that when you turn right, you are loading the left side bearing. This is because a) the weight is more on the left side due to body role, and b) because it is a tapered bearing and the left is being forced harder into the race. This would be opposite for turning to the left. So it actually sounds like you may have a left hub that is bad.

oldschoolguy
03-18-2010, 12:38 AM
jack up the front end of the car. Grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and try to rock it. If it wiggles, the bearing is bad

[ChaosweaveR]
03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
It definitely sounds like a hub assembly. I put another 1.5K on a bad bearing, but I still don't recommend pushing your chances.

remiljr
03-18-2010, 12:12 PM
take old schools advice and check for play. id drive it home and fix it. 240 is to much for something you can do yourself. If its really bad it will sound like a monster truck going down the highway and if you can notice its getting worse i say you deff have enough left to drive it home. and yes the whole assembly will include the abs sensor and hub/bearing. 100 bux at local auto store here in cleveland. (federated auto)

Pass
03-18-2010, 02:12 PM
thanks guys... I will be driving it home tommorow and taking care of the situation.. will let you know how it all goes....

thanks for all advice ur all #1

Pass
03-19-2010, 06:44 PM
so me and brother just replaced the drivers side wheel bearing and the humming continued. My brother thinks it could be a CV joint... just blew 160 bucks on a brand name bearin for it and its not fixed. The one that came off felt worn but it was not it. Im angered by all of this. When I swirved to the right it would grind and be noiser so we did the left. Which I double checked with a mechanic friend. Any suggestions...

;/ Im just easily frustrated by anything that doesn't work the first time but thats life right?

Pass
03-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Gonna replace the other bearing and hope that's it! Lol. Will let yah all know how it turns out.

Pass
03-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Well just got done everything. Ended up putting new brakes on and new rotors as well with the two new bearings. All is A-Ok now... really glad it wasn't the cv joints....

total cost 440 Canadian (would of saved about 150 going to the states to pick up the parts but oh well)

repaired - both hubs, break pads, rotors
labor - all me and my bro

350rs
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM
labor - all me and my bro

Best way to do it right there. Save money and learn/get to say you fixed it. not some shop.

remiljr
03-20-2010, 09:29 PM
good job, kinda works out cuz now you have extra new parts on your g/a congrats

westerndragon
03-22-2010, 06:54 AM
99% of the time you will get an ABS TRAC OFF light combo with the bad wheel hub easy to replace by yourself neat trick i learned after going through 4 of these bastards on the front end....use a jack and slide a tire underneath the car when you remove the caliper and rotor you can slide it all of in one piece and set it on the tire w/o risking the soft line.

it will save you about 30 min of focking with the pads and rotor to get them back on.

BTW driving on these when they are going isnt so bad lol my brother took his GA from ME to PA and back on a humming wheel OMG! lol i laughed and asked if he ever saw his wheel go past him on the HW