02 Grand-Am anyone know what this part is called? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum


View Full Version : 02 Grand-Am anyone know what this part is called?

sugar ray
03-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Slowly putting back together my 3.4 from a LIM gasket change. Just curious if anyone knows what this small part would be called as I dropped it and it is now lost! I got some blank stares at the local parts store when trying to describe it.

"Similar" to the valve pressure cap found on the fuel rail, but it is a pressure "cap" found on the cooling system. Again, it is just the CAP that I have lost. The cap is GOLD in color and is taken off with a 8mm socket. Without the cap i am certain you would lose pressure in the system.

thanks in advance

03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
try goin up to local autoparts store and opening the chiltons/haynes manual and searching the parts diagram, Ive done that when mad at auto parts store workers for being more clueless than me ( should not be the case) or buy it lol for 25 bux?

03-17-2010, 02:40 PM
bleeder valve maybe

03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
yeah sounds like the bleeder valve to me i lost mine once n just went to the dealer n told them it was a bleeder valve for the cooling system n it was like $8

03-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Do you mean it's similar to the black plastic cap on the end of the fuel rail that goes over the pressure test port? And where's it located at? If it's on any aluminum lines, then it is probably a cap for a charging port on the A/C system. The cooling system doesn't have any port or caps like that.

03-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Is it on the front passenger side of the engine near the side of the front valve cover?

sugar ray
03-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Is it on the front passenger side of the engine near the side of the front valve cover?

YES BlackJack that IS the location!

AaronGTR: No its NOT black but SIMILAR and smaller to that black cap on the fuel rail.
When I first removed the cap in question and squeezed the rad hose, coolant pumped up and out of the cap location. It is very small and easy to miss, about the size of your baby finger nail

03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
yes its the bleeder valve on the black rail in front of the valve cover.

03-18-2010, 03:28 PM
There is a small bleeder valve on the cooling tower on top of the water pump, which has two heater return pipes on it. One black pipe that goes in front of the valve cover and one with a short rubber hose going to a pipe on top of the UIM.

That bleeder shouldn't have any kind of cap on it though. At least mine never did, and I bought it brand new. It was just a small brass bleeder screw in a fitting. That's what threw me off about your question. Anyway, you shouldn't need that cap. As long as the screw is closed it won't leak.

PS: it would help if you could post a pic of it. I'd like to make sure GM didn't change it and put some other kind of bleeder there for some reason.