Battery issue? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery issue?

[ChaosweaveR]
03-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Alright, my car is stuck elsewhere right now. The car sat from 6:30pm to 11:30pm, now, I drove the car earlier in the day, not much of any starting issues. But I went to crank it, nada. Click, and all the lights are dim. Now, the battery is only three years old. Am I just looking at a battery, or is it a short? Jumping the battery seemed to do nothing. I'm strapped for cash until two weeks, this was very bad timing... :/

cardude007617
03-27-2010, 12:17 AM
sounds like a dead battery.... did you leave something on?

are you 100% sure you had all the connections tight when you jumped it?

KhellendrosxS
03-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Did the lights dim even more when you turned the key? If so Id be inclined to think the battery as well. I only had my sealed spiral cell Orbital (like an optima) for 2 years before it crapped out on me.

[ChaosweaveR]
03-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah, the clamps were on right, and the lights went really dim when I turned the key.

Well, I tested the battery, with a load, it read .72 volts. Yay!

Currently it's being charged up. No signs of leaking acid, so that was good. I'm just happy it's the battery and not an electrical failure...

KhellendrosxS
03-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Try shining up all your electrical connections and grounds. Theres lots of corrosion that likes to hide out under that red boot on the positive terminal but you have to cut that boot off to get to it.

[ChaosweaveR]
03-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Zing!

Car lives once more. Bought a new battery, my old Exide had a dead cell.

PhantomLover007
03-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Oh the Chaos rebounds... lol

[ChaosweaveR]
03-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Huzzah.

AaronGTR
03-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah, batteries are really only meant to last 3-5 years before needing to be replaced anyway. I'd say if you got 3 years out of it before a failure, you did alright. Just fyi, if the battery is really dead, you can try and jump it and it still won't start sometimes. The other car usually won't provide enough juice through the cables to run itself and start another totally dead car. That takes 60 amps or more. You have to let the other car run for a while with it hooked up to charge your battery to the point where the other car is just giving your battery a boost. Of course, if your battery is bad then it still won't start anyway.

[ChaosweaveR]
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Ah, I figured that. My g/f's 98 Maxima wasn't giving enough juice. Yeah, the Exide battery I had was a bit over three years old, it was tossed in new when I bought my GA back in July '07.