Cooling fans - forcing on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fans - forcing on

76TA01GAGT
03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
We have a 2000 GAGT - it has been running too warm and pushing antifeeze out the tank overflow. The heater works good and I can feel circulation in the hoses. I cannot get the fans to come on at all, turning the AC on will not work and I have verified fuses on both the compressor and the fans. We have also removed the fans and applied direct power and the do work. Will unplugging the compressor electrical connection allow them to turn on? Is there another way to force the fans to operate? Not sure if we have a relay, sensor, computer or compressor problem.... Car has no issue with temp when moving or when its cold outside, only now that is warmer and has no cooling help........... Any comments thoughts/ leeds appreciated!

Laser57
03-29-2010, 11:38 AM
The fans don't turn on until way over 200 degrees (there is a thread arround here somewhere I was reading that has the tempatures each fan turns on for). I know my cap is bad (it comes off in three pieces) and it will push antifreeze out the tank. Mine is not that bad, but it might just be a bad cap. What tempature does the car run at when it is warm?

76TA01GAGT
03-29-2010, 11:48 AM
When just warm and normal temp gauge straight up and down (200?) - it starts to push antifreeze out at 3 ticks above 200

PhantomLover007
03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Bad radiator cap? How are the hoses? Mushy?

SikMindz
03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Quick fix: http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GN3003/GAUNDER/Casper's+Hi+Speed+Fan+Switch+Kit.html

76TA01GAGT
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Radiator cap is new (guess that desont make if good....) hoses will build pressue but can squeeze

SikMindz
03-29-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd try bleeding the system as it sounds like you have an air bubble somewhere.

That or signs of an LIM leak......

PhantomLover007
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
DUNT DUNT DUUUHHHHHHH. ;crap

76TA01GAGT
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I'll try the bleeder again, as for the LIM, it could be (I hope not), the engine is brand new (probably 20 hours on it max) I dont see any evidence of water in the oil (elevated oil level, or milky oil) but anything is possible, what are the other signs seen typically? It is interesting how this just now started with the tempratures outside finally getting out of the 30's. Since we didnt drive the car before we bought it (broke motor) we did not have any way to verify the coolong system was working properly....... The fan system may have been on the fritz even then....