F#***@% security light!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : F#***@% security light!!

3800SII
03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Needless to say I am pissed.... The pass lock system cost me $140 because I thought my starter was shot! I installed a new starter and the car would still not start. Turn the key, everything lights up, but not a sound from the ignition system. To make a long story short, I already replaced the ignition switch last year. A new lock and cylinder would cost about $185 from Autozone, and I did NOT want to shell out anymore money. I did the passkey relearn procedure and the car started with no problem. However the security light stays on.

OK.... so I decided to search the forums, and I tried to use the 2.2k resistor on yellow wire thingy. Now my car is a 2004 GT, and I could not tell which wires at the BCM were the correct ones. I simply cut the yellow wire on the ignition switch behind the dash and soldered it to adjacent black wire. The car starts fine! but my security light stays on. I did the relearn procedure again, but the security light will not go out ;crap.

My dash is starting to look like a Christmas tree with the SVS (ADL, or DRL problem I know) and Security lights on. I know that the passkey system is probably shot,
but is there another way to disable the security light without ghetto rigging it with a piece of black tape. I want to know before I spend the extra $ to get it fixed.

Pauljp
03-29-2010, 03:48 PM
There is a nice writeup here:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971&highlight=bypass+passlock
In a nutshell, you have to measure the resistance between the black and yellow wires, put in an equal resistor to trick the computer, and your light or passlock system will never come on again.

3800SII
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
There is a nice writeup here:
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74971&highlight=bypass+passlock
In a nutshell, you have to measure the resistance between the black and yellow wires, put in an equal resistor to trick the computer, and your light or passlock system will never come on again.

Well... I followed that mod, but I used the passkey relearn so that the BCM could recognize the 2.2k resistor instead. I guess that I can undo the mod and see if I can find the actual resistance from the passkey.

Pauljp
03-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Here is another good link to the passlock:
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
Item #3 is the one that you want.

3800SII
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Here is another good link to the passlock:
http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm
Item #3 is the one that you want.

Right... I looked at the BCM wiring, but the 2004 Grand Am has different colors. I could not locate yellow and black on the connector easily so I did the MOD at the ignition switch. My assumption was that it should still work...
Somebody check me on this and correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

Pauljp
04-04-2010, 07:24 PM
So what did you finally end up doing?

westerndragon
04-06-2010, 05:41 AM
go buy a remote start the come with a passlock 1 & 2 bypass

3800SII
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Ok... here is my second attempt to correct this problem by doing the right thing!

Instead of going with the bypass method, I went ahead and decided to purchase a new ignition key and cylinder from ebay and install it last week. I reconnected all the wires and removed the makeshift resistor that I had. I installed the new cylinder but Here is the problem:
THE SECURITY LIGHT IS STILL ON;crap. THE CAR STILL CRANKS AND DRIVES JUST AS IF THE UNIT WAS BYPASSED. Now I have two keys and the problem has not been resolved. I finally got my SVS, TCS, ABS lights off because the wheel speed sensor on the hub bearing was not lined up properly. A simple adjustment, and it is working perfectly. The security light is all that I have left.

Away to the dealership where I spoke with the parts department for Pontiacs. They said that 90% of the time this was the passkey sensor that is built into the ignition key cylinder that goes bad. They had several of the defective ones on hand to illustrat this. I also suspected the wires that go to the passkey sensor, but those are considered part of the body harness. They told me to try the relearn procedure again. I have done the relearn twice, but no dice amigo! My car is a 2004 GT. I am wondering if I will need to perform the relearn 3 to 4 times in sequence in order for the BCM to finally learn the new resistance code. I don't know if this will work because the car can still crank and drive....Any more suggestions? Anybody else have this dilema. Your help is greatly appreciated

bricooper78
07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
I do not know for sure if this will change anything, and honestly doubt it will...but it's free, and you may as well try it.

disconnect the battery and leave it off for an hour or so, just to make sure the system is d-e-a-d.

then while you got dead car, hook up the resistor. then hook the battery up, and do the relearn.

then try to start it.

this is nothing more then "hard reset" type of electronics troubleshooting, i don't know if it'll change anything on the module of the car, but maybe it will.

good luck man

3800SII
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I do not know for sure if this will change anything, and honestly doubt it will...but it's free, and you may as well try it.

disconnect the battery and leave it off for an hour or so, just to make sure the system is d-e-a-d.

then while you got dead car, hook up the resistor. then hook the battery up, and do the relearn.

then try to start it.

this is nothing more then "hard reset" type of electronics troubleshooting, i don't know if it'll change anything on the module of the car, but maybe it will.

good luck man

Thanks! That is not a bad idea at all.... I wonder if I pull the PCM fuse if that will make any more of a difference, but I will do both. I had the battery disconnected when I put the new lock cylinder in to begin with, but it only took me about 40 minutes to complete. BTW, since I have a new lock and cylinder I won't be doing the resistor mod.

zukiracer19
07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
dude my security light is on too... its random tho it will turn on while im driving and cut fuel off until i shut off the car than immediately wont start, no fuel or ignition...

Mattyj724
07-13-2010, 01:34 PM
What was the point of this system??? to keep from stealing the car? seems like it was to keep the owner from driving it.

3800SII
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
dude my security light is on too... its random tho it will turn on while im driving and cut fuel off until i shut off the car than immediately wont start, no fuel or ignition...

Sucks don't it! I never see imports with the same problems that GM has. I think that they could have spent more time engineering stuff for longevity. I have had this problem on both of my Pontiacs...

3800SII
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
What was the point of this system??? to keep from stealing the car? seems like it was to keep the owner from driving it.

No, the "point" of this system was to make sure that at sometime during the life of the vehicle you will spend X amount of $ at the stealership to get it fixed. I know for a fact that every GM car has a certain amount of maintenance costs built into it. This has got to be one of the best ways to force money out of people possible...

You have no choice but to fix it..... You either have an extended warranty or a decent sized repair bill to boot.

bobb
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Thank you for the great instructions on using the resistor. In about an hours time soldered in the resistor (used a 2.2K precision resistor) at the Body Control Module. Happened to be the lucky 1 in 20 as the car started right up several times without having to do the re-calibration.

2003 GT

bstaff88
09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
This happened on my way to work today. Have a feeling I'm going to have trouble starting my car to go home. I have a 03 Grand Am GT with ~107,000 miles on it. http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/ <- this seems to be the easiest fix. I'm going to give it a shot on Sunday to fix it.