O2 Sensor Situation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensor Situation

Dustinh123
03-31-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey,
For a while now my SES light has been on, giving a code P0135 (B1 S1 Heated O2 Sensor). So I replaced the old sensor with a new one from Bosch and cleared the codes. But after about 5 miles of driving or so the SES light comes back on with the same code.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AaronGTR
03-31-2010, 04:16 PM
P0135 is for the O2 sensor heater performance. Basically the heater is supposed to warm the sensor up faster so the PCM can use it for fueling corrections earlier, and it is supposed to warm up within a certain amount of time. It only checks it on cold starts, and the amount of time the PCM is looking for varies depending on the coolant temp and intake air temp at start up, and the average mass air flow during the warm up period. If the O2 sensor isn't active enough and it determines it took too long to warm up, then it sets the code.

First thing to look for is the condition of the connector on the harness and any damaged wires. Have to make sure you are getting a good connection and the heater is getting full power. After that, you have to look at other sensors that may be throwing off what the PCM is looking for, like coolant temp or mass air flow sensors.

Dustinh123
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
alright, thanks for the explanation! i'll have a look at it this weekend...

Grandamgtblk99
03-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a fuse.

Malaclypse
04-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Put a Delco sensor in it and get back to us.

Dustinh123
04-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Checked all of the connections. They all work. Nothing out of the ordinary. I also checked all of the fuses, and they're all working as well. I really don't wanna have to dish out another $80 for a new sensor until i know for sure there can't be anything else possibly wrong with it.

Dustinh123
04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Any ideas?

Dustinh123
04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
bump

Dustinh123
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Alright, so I've mustered enough money to buy an AC Delco sensor (quite expensive), popped it in and cleared the codes. I drove it around for about 15 min without throwing a code. I shut off the car halfway between the drive and started it back up again and drove it home. No code!

Solution: Get AC Delco Sensor. Thanks Malaclypse.

Malaclypse
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Alright, so I've mustered enough money to buy an AC Delco sensor (quite expensive), popped it in and cleared the codes. I drove it around for about 15 min without throwing a code. I shut off the car halfway between the drive and started it back up again and drove it home. No code!

No problem. I only mentioned that as a fix because O2 sensors are one of those "Manufacturer calibrated parts" where it has to be within a certain tolerance or you'll get codes.

The same goes for some aftermarket catalytic converters. Sure they're doing their job well enough to pass a sniffer test, but OEM standards can be much higher.

Glad it worked out for you. =)

Jake
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Spending extra money on quality parts ftw!

Dustinh123
04-20-2010, 06:55 PM

Scratch that.

The SES light decided to come up again on during my morning commute today. :rage: This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I drove it for 20 or so min yesterday without throwing a light, but with less than 5 min of driving today, it throws a code (the same one, P0135). When I got home I checked the voltage coming from the O2 connection - seems to be working just fine. Inspection time is coming up and I can't pass if i've got an SES light. I really need to get this problem fixed.

:confused: :confused:

Dustinh123
07-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Alrighty...
I talked to a mechanic who said the problem might be the engine harness. Great. So I found a used harness from another GAGT from the same year, gave it to him to replace and now I have my car back. Guess what? The SES light came right back up. I'm all out of ideas. Has anyone had an experience like this?

AtomF
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Sol?

AaronGTR
07-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Sounds to me like he just wanted to get some money out of you. It very rare to have harness problems unless the car is very old, and you shouldn't have to replace the entire engine harness. You could just run new wires from the O2 sensor to the power relays and PCM. I don't think that is your problem.

Dustinh123
07-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Hmmm... the only thing that comes to my mind is the PCM. ;crap