Need help learning about cars [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need help learning about cars

FireEyes
04-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey, I am new with cars and would like to learn more. I live in the center of North Carolina. If you dont mind helping a girl learn than let me know. I am only 22 so I do not know that much. I want to learn how to do big mods though.

Thanks

2000 GT Coupe
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Good luck, and what are you trying to do?

FireEyes
04-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I would like to know more about the engine.

2000 GT Coupe
04-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Are you wanting more power and speed? or cosmetic nice looking things.

FireEyes
04-02-2010, 10:08 AM
power and speed.

PhantomLover007
04-02-2010, 10:21 AM
A CAI will open up the airflow intot he engine quite a bit because the "Ram Air" sysytem is constrictive at best and is a joke.

Porting the MAF, upper and lower intakes and a nice set of headers will help out too.

Turbo/SC will added the biggest gains.

FireEyes
04-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Only thing I know how to do is the CIA.I need help with the others.

PhantomLover007
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Check out MPRacing.com. The owner's a member on here. He sells ported UIM's and LIM's.

There might be some folks on here that are selling them too. Check out the F/S threads.

wrestleandrun
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
well have you looked around at what websites offer like pfyc.com wot-tech.com milzymotorsports.com mpracing.com Why not check those out see what you like and if you have questions if you should get this or that or how to install we can help you with that.

psy7
04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
could always go to a automotive college as well if u want to learn more about cars as well

Mac0083
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
i just did the CAI on my '99 gt. the instructions included weren't for a '99 though...
the (PCV?) tube is a little different on the '99. i broke a few vacuum lines trying to make them fit or stretch.
it took about 3 hours because i had no idea what i was doing, but thought i knew everything.
you're doing the right thing by asking questions before. you're already smarter'n me.
good luck, and welcome to the site. -mac

2000 GT Coupe
04-02-2010, 10:48 AM
power and speed.

A CAI will open up the airflow intot he engine quite a bit because the "Ram Air" sysytem is constrictive at best and is a joke.

Porting the MAF, upper and lower intakes and a nice set of headers will help out too.

Turbo/SC will added the biggest gains.

Don't forget about the exhaust, get a hi performance cat and bigger and better piping with a less restrictive muffler that gets air into and out of the engine easier.
The ported and polished everything will help air flow as well. but they are big money.
What budget do you have. How much of this do you actually want to do yourself, getting your hands dirty not just paying someone to do.

GA2000GTSpeed
04-02-2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78706

FireEyes
04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I put a flowmaster on my car and took off the resonator but it cost me over $200 for a professional to do it. I would of rather have done it myself.

AaronGTR
04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, if you want to start doing exhaust work, you'll need a bunch of tools, and if you don't want clamps on everything you'll need to learn how to weld as well (and buy a welder). Modding can get expensive, even if you're doing it yourself, once you start buying all the tools. ;) There are some engine mods and stuff you can do with a basic tool set though. But I gotta say, a chic who can weld would be hot! lol

If you really REALLY want to learn about cars though and how they work... it's time to start reading! There is a lot of information on the internet, but there is just as much bad info as good info. You can find basic info on how engines work though that will be pretty accurate. There are a lot of good books around too on how exhaust systems and intakes work and how to modify them. You can find books on suspensions, tuning, body mods, custom interior, stereo systems, welding, painting... just about anything. Those will give you a good basis to use to sort out the truth from the crap on the internet. ;) You can get a lot of good info from magazines too. Get a subscription to something like D sport or performance auto & sound. And then you can always get lots of good info here too. Good luck, and remember to have fun with it! :)

hahano404
04-02-2010, 03:57 PM
find a better exhaust guy. 20 bucks and a six pack got my downpipe back.

AaronGTR
04-02-2010, 06:46 PM
find a better exhaust guy. 20 bucks and a six pack got my downpipe back.

She said she got a flowmaster too. If the $200 was including the parts and if they welded everything up, then $200 is actually pretty reasonable.

Malaclypse
04-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Porting the MAF, upper and lower intakes....

Do not port the MAF under any circumstances. The unit itself is calibrated specifically for the housing diameter. You'll just end up hurting things if you port a factory MAF.

Don't port the intakes unless you know what you're doing. Port matching won't help anything either.

wrestleandrun
04-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Do not port the MAF under any circumstances. The unit itself is calibrated specifically for the housing diameter. You'll just end up hurting things if you port a factory MAF.

Don't port the intakes unless you know what you're doing. Port matching won't help anything either.

I think what he meant to say (or should have) is throttle body. But still just buy a bigger one, I don't think she should attempt machine work by herself.

PhantomLover007
04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah. I meant just get a larger set of all of them unless you know someone that's really good at porting.

westerndragon
04-06-2010, 05:59 AM
you want to learn more about modding a fixing cars you picked a good one to learn with lol i knew almost nothing about cars before i got my GA 6 yrs ago (yes i have owned my 99 for 6 years lol ) now after struts, hubs, gaskets, Steering rack, even a broken exaust mani stud, and a few others. ive learned more about cars and engines then i ever thought id know haha GM stands for "Get More parts"

notsoaveragej0e
04-06-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

FireEyes
04-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for everyone giving great advice. I have learned a lot searching this site. I appreciate everyone trying to help me.