AC problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : AC problem

Lightbringer12
04-02-2010, 08:57 AM
So just yesterday it was 80 degrees out so I tried to turn on my AC in 2000 Grand am GT Coupe. But it was not blowing cold air, it felt cool but not AC cool. I turn a look at the engine and listened. When I switched the AC on I could hear the engine have to work as if the compressor was coming on. Is it possible that I just need to recharge the AC with Freon? I have had the car 3 years but I am guessing before I bought the car the AC was never serviced and the car would be 10 years old now. Give me some thoughts what may be the problem thanks...

2000 GT Coupe
04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
So just yesterday it was 80 degrees out so I tried to turn on my AC in 2000 Grand am GT Coupe. But it was not blowing cold air, it felt cool but not AC cool. I turn a look at the engine and listened. When I switched the AC on I could hear the engine have to work as if the compressor was coming on. Is it possible that I just need to recharge the AC with Freon? I have had the car 3 years but I am guessing before I bought the car the AC was never serviced and the car would be 10 years old now. Give me some thoughts what may be the problem thanks...

First thing turn on a/c and look at the a/c compresser is it turning? not just the outside but the entire pulley.
If it is turning there is refrigerant in there but it could be low you can buy a charge kit in wal mart if you want, follow the directions and you should be ok.

Lightbringer12
04-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Well thanks for the help. The Pulley is turning so it should just need a recharge of freon. I was wondering though where do you recharge the freon. There is a black cap in the front of the engine compartment on passenger side and I was wondering if that was the spot. Or I read somewhere that it is the blue cap and it is next to the firewall. I need some help as to where to add the freon...

GA2000GTSpeed
04-02-2010, 03:00 PM
the blue cap is more towards the bottom passenger of the firewall , and is a pain to get to. thats the low side and where you need to add to. the black is the high pressure side.

also you might want to get it checked having to much will also keep it from blowing as cold as its suppose to. i had someone charge my system and they put to much in one time... so me not knowing any better added more and i ended up blowing a nickel size hole in the side of the compressor...

Lightbringer12
04-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm lucky in 2 weeks my uncle comes down and he will help me. He was a Dodge mechanic for a long time so I am in luck lol....