multiple problems possibly?? help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : multiple problems possibly?? help!

mrvoodoodaddy69
04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Ok let me lay the ground work here. We have a 2004 Grand Am Se, It was completely submerged in water, that's where the problems begin obviously. Ok the car was brought home all fluids changed new battery. All lights work windows and such so at least there is a little ray of light. Anyway get in try the ignition and absolutely nothing. Replaced the Ignition switch, switch itself not key and tumbler and still nothing, replace key and tumbler still nothing, so i jumped wires on starter and car will turn over and was able to get it to start, but will only run for a few seconds. Many have suggested that the security system is probably the issue since it will run for a few seconds and then cut off. Now I have a theory for repairing this, I have access to a 2003 GA, my idea is this buy the 03 and replace the computer,body control module,Ignition Switch along with key portion. Basically remove the brains from a running vehicle into the non running vehicle. So I am thinking that this should not cause a issue with the security because of all the pieces that work together have been transplanted into the other vehicle. Am I missing something?? All ideas are appreciated.

99PGAGT1
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I say this, its a grand am, an 04, considering it was submerged there is endless possibilities of what is stopping it from running. its really not going to be worth the time, money, and headache

Malaclypse
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Completely submerged? Wow.

Theoretically speaking your plans of swapping the BCM and related security components SHOULD work.... But as mentioned, having been completely submerged in water, there's absolutely no telling what will fix this car.

It could be as simple as what your suggesting or you could have a hundred or more problems crop up along the way.

You're better off buying the '03 and using the '04 as a parts car.

Edit: You know, this reminded me of the three or so times I've had to repair cars that were struck by lightning.

You walk into that fix having no idea what went wrong or needs to be replaced. Basically it instantly reverts to comprehesive insurance if the vehicle is new enough and its a rolling tab.

I think the last car struck by lightning needed three modules, an antenna and about twenty fuses. Ended up being about $1500 in parts and labor.

PhantomLover007
04-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm w/ them on this. Everything electrical would have to be disconnected and let completely dry out depending on how high the water was. Then you'd have to worry about the interior

remiljr
04-03-2010, 05:43 PM
agreed....drive the 03 with the needed 04 parts

mrvoodoodaddy69
04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
03 was t-boned. 04 will start just runs for a brief second before it dies. It will not start with the key (turn over) but with the key in the on position if i jump across solenoid it will start for that breif moment. As far as other electrical problems that might crop up, I kinda figured that there would be some but for the most part all other electrical items are functional at the moment except for the drivers seat. But at the moment I feel that the biggest problem is the secutiry system. Looks like I will have to try this theroy since Insurance will not cover the auto, think it has alot to do with the big warning sign that says travel at you own risk. And no I did not drive this in the water, I am just the lucky one with a project. Wish it was a Toyota!!

mrvoodoodaddy69
04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Completely submerged? Wow.

Theoretically speaking your plans of swapping the BCM and related security components SHOULD work.... But as mentioned, having been completely submerged in water, there's absolutely no telling what will fix this car.

It could be as simple as what your suggesting or you could have a hundred or more problems crop up along the way.

You're better off buying the '03 and using the '04 as a parts car.

Edit: You know, this reminded me of the three or so times I've had to repair cars that were struck by lightning.

You walk into that fix having no idea what went wrong or needs to be replaced. Basically it instantly reverts to comprehesive insurance if the vehicle is new enough and its a rolling tab.

I think the last car struck by lightning needed three modules, an antenna and about twenty fuses. Ended up being about $1500 in parts and labor.

Theory is a good place to start, I am getting the 03 for 200 bucks, so if I am luck I figure I can get the needed parts from it. It also has a new set of tires, so that right there is worth the money. Guess it is time to break out the wrenches and multimeter.