LIM Bolts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Bolts

Ground Hugger
04-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Well I'm in the middle of replacing the LIM gaskets on my 03 Grand Am and when I went to remove the intake bolts the damn things where just a little better then finger tight. I mean absolutely no effort need to loosen and the manifold just lifted off with no effort at all. I have done other engines and had to use a breaker bar but this was ridiculously simple. Should it be this easy? Just wondering.

Vegeta
04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
No, they should have thread locker applied to keep them from backing out. New kits that include the bolts have a thread locker on them.

Ground Hugger
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
No, they should have thread locker applied to keep them from backing out. New kits that include the bolts have a thread locker on them.

I figured that they we not in tight enough. Its no wonder the LIM was leaking. Fortunately it was leaking oil into the cooling system and not coolant into the oil.
Well tomorrow I'll clean things up and re torque the head bolts since I have it apart and install new plugs then start putting it all back together. Thanks for the info, just couldn't believe how loose the intake bolts where.

sugar ray
04-04-2010, 12:05 AM
damn! read this and thought i was hearing an echo or at the very least experiencing dejavu! also in the process of doing my 02 LIM and mine was the EXACT same way! scary loose.

Ground Hugger
04-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Ya, makes you wonder about what goes on in those engineering meetings don't it! Well I'm going to make sure they don't come loose again! And I'm going to double check every other bolt to make sure I don't have to take it apart again. I'm taking my time and making sure I don't miss a thing. Even changing plugs on the V6 is a pain!!

westerndragon
04-06-2010, 05:51 AM
when i bought my 99GT i changed the plugs and i had nice shiney new ones in the front and O.E plugs in the back side OMFG the only thing harder then changing the plugs in a GA is doing it in a subaru 4 cyl i swear theres 10,000 japanese ppl laughing at our huge western hands trying to fit down in there ROFL i needed a socket with 2 knucles to angle in for the plugs on the old impreza