Flashing SES Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flashing SES Light

baphotos
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM
So today I was driving home and all of the sudden my 99 GA 2.4L started to shake really bad like I was driving on the rippels on the side of the road and I lost almost all acelration on it, then the SES Light came on and started flasshing and the ABS and Trac Lights came on as well.

I limped the car home and checked on line and seen that its more than likely a miss fire, I then changed the plugs and wires and it still happens, I checkd the oil and it dont look like there is any coolant in it although the low coolant light was on and then turned off the other day, I never added any since I owned the car, I did put some in a week ago when the light came on but the level still looks the same.

The car also dies now when I put it into drive and hit the gas.....

any ideas? I really dont have the $$ to take it to a shop and have them look at it

Grandamgtblk99
04-04-2010, 08:00 PM
What motor do you have? if you did plugs and wires, then next guess is a ignition coil or ignition control module. Flashing only happens when it misfires do you definitely had a misfire.

lone_wolf025
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Make sure the coolant level is where it's supposed to be first. I'd tell you to rent a compression tester and spark tester from autozone or something. Test the car and see what you get. If the compression is good and spark is good look hard at the fuel system. A bad pressure regulator, maybe a bad fuel pump, clogged injectors, could be any number of things. Oh and make sure your air filter isn't clogged and rent a vacuum gauge to test for a clogged exhaust. The vacuum gauged should read around 18" of vacuum (or so) and the needle should snap down and pop right back up if you snap the throttle. If it gradually climbs back up to 18" its probably a clogged exhaust. Also if the needle bounces around all over the place you've got other problems.

baphotos
04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I have the 2.4L motor, and yea i would assume that i have a miss fire since the light is flashing

lone_wolf025
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
The light flashing indicates a severe misfire and a "cat destroying event". Basically you're dumping so much fuel (usually by misfire) that if you keep it up the cat will overheat and burn itself out. But yea you're gonna have to do some testing to figure out what's going on.

baphotos
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
i think im goin just take it to the shop hope it dont cost too much to have them tell me what it is, and hopefully it will be something i can fix

baphotos
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
oh and when i start it up now i smell fuel

[ChaosweaveR]
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Have the codes read, and see what it is.

It could be a misfire, or a bad injector. But you're smelling fuel after startup, so plugs are more likely. Stick with AC Delco plugs.

stewartfn18
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM
oh and when i start it up now i smell fuel

The light flashing indicates a severe misfire and a "cat destroying event". Basically you're dumping so much fuel (usually by misfire) that if you keep it up the cat will overheat and burn itself out. But yea you're gonna have to do some testing to figure out what's going on.

read next time

baphotos
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
okay it turns out that it was a bad coil and coil housing

westerndragon
04-06-2010, 05:44 AM
unfortunatly parts like those either work correctly or break completly lol very little warning when they go

lone_wolf025
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
read next time

I did read...he said he ASSUMES it's a misfire. As I recall flashing SES just means "cat destroying event" by massive fuel dump doesn't necessarily mean misfire.:duh:

stewartfn18
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I did read...he said he ASSUMES it's a misfire. As I recall flashing SES just means "cat destroying event" by massive fuel dump doesn't necessarily mean misfire.:duh:

not you. i meant the OP, sorry