need help relocating battery [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need help relocating battery

solutions_auto
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Like the title states, I'm trying to relocate the battery to the trunk, my question is how? lol I have a 1guage power wire ran from the trunk, where should I connect that main feed? The fuse box, or the starter?

Or how did you guys do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

AleroB888
04-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Like the title states, I'm trying to relocate the battery to the trunk, my question is how? lol I have a 1guage power wire ran from the trunk, where should I connect that main feed? The fuse box, or the starter?

Some info here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78457&highlight=trunk+battery+starter

Pauljp
04-08-2010, 05:58 AM
I'm still new here and maybe I just don't understand...
I have heard of people moving the battery to the trunk, and installing a kill switch.
But I can not understand why.
Is this for racing or something?
Can someone explain this to me?

GA2000GTSpeed
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
I have heard of people moving the battery to the trunk, and installing a kill switch.

Drag strips require you to have an easy to access and well labeled kill switch to race with a relocated battery.

Pauljp
04-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Drag strips require you to have an easy to access and well labeled kill switch to race with a relocated battery.

I see. Thank you.

solutions_auto
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
ok, so i can hook the main feed to the starter, then a jumper to the fuse box... correct? Then on the ground, can i run a ground from the battery to some where in the trunk? Then the ground wires that used to attach the battery, can i just ground them somewhere in the engine bay? Will that be a good enough ground?

thanks again guys

O1GAGT
04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Getting ready to install the supercharger?

Take some pics, I will be interested in seeing how you wired it up.

AaronGTR
04-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Stock power wires run from the alternator output to a terminal on the the starter solenoid, then a wire from the same terminal runs to the battery positive terminal, and from there up to the underhood junction (fuse box). When I did mine I ran the power wire from the trunk into the engine bay and hooked it to the same wires that used to bolt to the battery. That way you are providing power and getting charging from the same source. Eventually I replaced those wires with larger gauge, but that's another story. The stock ground wires you can just bolt to one of the open points left when you remove the battery. Make sure to sand off a some of the paint under them and put some dielectric grease on it for good contact. Same in the trunk, just run a ground cable from the battery to a sturdy point in the sheet metal, drill a hole and bolt it down. I used a hyperground kit on mine and ran one ground to the chassis in the trunk and another back up to the engine bay grounding points for good measure. Again, not absolutely necessary. One thing, make sure all the cable terminations are using good quality ring terminals, and solder them to the wire! You'll need a propane torch and heavy gauge solder wire for this since the wire is so big.

People do it for many reasons. Mostly to make more room in the engine bay for other mods, and to redistribute weight. Technically most drag strips say a battery kill switch is required when they are moved to the back... I've yet to go to a track that actually checks for it. It's kind of a retarded and outdated rule for our types of cars. It was originally intended for RWD drag cars (non street legal) that put the battery in the back and ran without an alternator for their runs. The way we wire up our batteries, a kill switch wouldn't kill the engine because you aren't taking the alternator out of the loop, so there is no reason for a kill switch. You'd have to run the power from the alternator back there to the battery, then to a kill switch, then back up to the front. Obviously no one would do that on a street car since you are using a lot of extra space, weight, and money for all that gear. Plus you'd be losing more current through all that length of wire, which you don't want.

burgett2103
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
i mounted 2 batteries in my trunk. i ran positive from alternator and well i forgot lol, but ran them to the trunk. i should have used 1/0 wire, but i used 4ga wire and there is slight lag when cranking to start it up. it all works out great, though.

solutions_auto
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Getting ready to install the supercharger?

Take some pics, I will be interested in seeing how you wired it up.

yeah, its about that time.hoping to get it all installed in the next couple of weeks.

thormxkid
04-10-2010, 07:17 AM
anyone got under the hood pics....i'll be doing this prolly this sunday or tonight just wanted to see how much cleaner under the hood is when it's done

stillriza
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Stock power wires run from the alternator output to a terminal on the the starter solenoid, then a wire from the same terminal runs to the battery positive terminal, and from there up to the underhood junction (fuse box). When I did mine I ran the power wire from the trunk into the engine bay and hooked it to the same wires that used to bolt to the battery. That way you are providing power and getting charging from the same source. Eventually I replaced those wires with larger gauge, but that's another story. The stock ground wires you can just bolt to one of the open points left when you remove the battery. Make sure to sand off a some of the paint under them and put some dielectric grease on it for good contact. ....

That's how i did mine until I put the battery back for trunk space when i drove down to nyc...
still haven't moved it back though