power steering pump [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump

350rs
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
between that and my tensioner i think i have at least some of my rattle pinned down. I checked out parts and i guess i need to know weather or not i have the variable speed control or something like that? I see a sensor on the lower left ( looking at it from pass. side) from my haynes manual that looks like it would be the fancy pump. Is there an RPO i could look at to make 100% sure its correct? Also where is that badge/sticker at?

westerndragon
04-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Variable assist yeah you probably have it i think all the gt's have it i have it in my 99gt it sucks because it basically does nothing unless your in a parking lot and it uses the high pressure hose thats like 4 times as spendy ugh.

AaronGTR
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
I kinda like my variable assist. It works fine for me. But anyway... yeah, since you have an '01 you should have it. They used it up to '03 iirc. The later models have no plug or wires going to the pump at all. The variable assist unit has a plug on the bottom left with a wire coming from the harness back by the alternator.

350rs
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
okie doke. i got my tensioner today. but i blew up my back at work, so it will have to wait a few days. Thanks for the reply about the pump.

350rs
04-12-2010, 09:51 PM
popped a few painkillers and did work. Only took a few mins. Took it for a drive and its all nice and silent now. PEACE AT LAST!! Now if only i knew what that sound in the exhaust was..

So my pump seems fine. I guess the sound was just vibrating though everything and being amplified by the pump.