Rattle on both rear shock towers. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rattle on both rear shock towers.

GrandAmMe
04-12-2010, 07:50 PM
My car has been rattling when driving on rough road from the rear. First it was only the driver side rear shock tower but now its both sides. I pulled the carpet back and took the little plastic cap off and bounced the car up and down. The centre part moves. Could i be needing strut mounts?

Haughee
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
It's the struts, or the strut mounts. I replaced just my struts and the sound went away. Replacing the mounts when you replace the struts is a good idea though.

GrandAmMe
04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
How much did this run you?

Haughee
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Well I let a shop install them cause there were many other issues, but I got the struts from Rock Auto and I think they only ran me around 60 for the front two.

AaronGTR
04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
My car has been rattling when driving on rough road from the rear. First it was only the driver side rear shock tower but now its both sides. I pulled the carpet back and took the little plastic cap off and bounced the car up and down. The centre part moves. Could i be needing strut mounts?

You shouldn't see anything at all moving up at the mounts when the car goes up and down. Best way to check is put the rear up on jack stands so the tires are off the ground and the suspension is unloaded. Then have someone pull up on the wheel, or put a jack under it and lift it, while you watch the upper mount inside the trunk. If you see the strut shaft in the middle move up or down AT ALL relative to the mount, get them replaced ASAP! That means the strut shaft is loose inside the mounting plate and it will rattle every time the suspension moves up and down.

GrandAmMe
04-13-2010, 05:52 PM
You shouldn't see anything at all moving up at the mounts when the car goes up and down. Best way to check is put the rear up on jack stands so the tires are off the ground and the suspension is unloaded. Then have someone pull up on the wheel, or put a jack under it and lift it, while you watch the upper mount inside the trunk. If you see the strut shaft in the middle move up or down AT ALL relative to the mount, get them replaced ASAP! That means the strut shaft is loose inside the mounting plate and it will rattle every time the suspension moves up and down.

Thats next to exactly what is going on. I bounced the car and the middle part moved about an inch or so.