4T45E servicing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 4T45E servicing

avro206
04-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Does the pan have to be dropped to service the transmission? Or is the fluid just pumped through?

Should I just go with the stock GM type fluid or Amsoil or Mobil1 ?

99% sure I am buying an 04 Grand Am SE1 V6. Has 97K kms (that's 60K miles) just want to do some routine maintenance

How much fluid does it take? (no owner manual)

thanks!

AaronGTR
04-13-2010, 09:59 PM
If it has a lot of miles on it and has never had the fluid changed, I don't recommend doing a flush (pumping the fluid through). You are likely to just stir up a bunch of crap and damage a seal. I had that done to my grand prix at 127k miles and at 130k I was replacing the entire tranny.

Just have the pan dropped and drain the fluid and change the filter, then refill it. It should take about 7 quarts. Get the newest GM factory fluid Dexron VI. It is actually better than anything else out there. :thumbs:

FromTheInside
04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes, you have to drop the pan, someone else can give you advice on the type of fluid. There is no dipstick for the car you want on the transmission, so you will have to take off a check plug. It's an 11 mm bolt on the passenger side of the transmission about 3 inches above the height of the pan. It's pretty much straight under the axle. If you're not doing a flush, you'll need around 7 quarts of fluid. It comes out to around 6.9 and you'll need a tad extra because your aim is (after you run the car through its gears in the air and idle it to operating temperature) to add fluid until it comes out of the plug and stops dripping or drips slowly. Make sure your car is level when you're making this measurement. Check this thread for reference if you'd like.

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110452&highlight=transmission+fluid+level+check

Good luck and remember to get the fluid filter seal off of the transmission with a pick if it doesn't come off with the filter (it probably won't)

FromTheInside
04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Looks like I was beaten to it lol... damn my slow typing.

avro206
04-13-2010, 10:05 PM
okay thanks. No clue on when, if it was ever serviced.