Another Sea Foam Thread [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another Sea Foam Thread

remiljr
04-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Searched all posts here at gagt but none with my issue.
ran a 1/3 can sea foam through vacuum line at master cylinder(brake)
turned car off for 5 min.
restarted car and let the smoke pour!!!!!!!!!!!
car idles a lot better but i have a bog/ hesitation on take off.
Only when smashing the throttle down though. If i take off normally it is fine.
I did the sea foam yesterday. should i just give it more time to burn out or do you think i have a issue elsewhere after sea foaming. Car diddnt do it before. I read here the i may need to change plugs or pcv valve after seafoaming? 140k miles and still drive it like i stole it!

[ChaosweaveR]
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
I never had a bogging issue after I did mine. After 15-20 minutes of driving, you burn most of the seafoam off. I can't hurt to change the PCV valve, since it's smack in your face, and they're 3 bucks at a parts store. Just don't break the elbow on the top of the PCV valve.

When was the last time you did a tune up anyway? (IE new spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change, air filter)

remiljr
04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Ive never done a tune up on it. Only have owned it about 6 months now? changed oil with fully syn castrol about 2k ago and installed a cai. about a month ago. I went to look at the fuel filter to see how rotted the lines were and it seems the past owner replaced it along with using rubber fuel hose about half way up the car so itll be even easier. probably rotted fuel line and broke when they tried to replace it. its scary for me b/c the fuel filter i did on a 87 monte carlo the line broke and it put rust in my injectors ! bad scenario! so i plan on pcv, plugs/wires and fuel filter in the near future. also i read that thread about the cracked pcv line ...ouch! Think I should sea foam it again>? I put the 1/3 can in a tupperware container and held the tb to introduce it into the car without it stalling b/c i was alone. That shouldnt be an issue though? I also have a vacuum gauge installed on my car and i am now reading around 20 opposed to the normal 18/19?

[ChaosweaveR]
04-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Your best bet is the main vacuum line, like you did before. More effective.

Plugs and wires will probably help. Use the AC Delco Iridium plugs: PT # 41-101. Wires? Stick with either OEM, or a good quality aftermarket set. Don't use some cheap dinky no name brand. That PCV line that goes to the back valve cover, just be mindful if you ever remove it for anything. Dealerships are your only hope for new (IIRC) otherwise it's from a boneyard.

remiljr
04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
;1121123']Your best bet is the main vacuum line, like you did before. More effective.

Plugs and wires will probably help. Use the AC Delco Iridium plugs: PT # 41-101. Wires? Stick with either OEM, or a good quality aftermarket set. Don't use some cheap dinky no name brand. That PCV line that goes to the back valve cover, just be mindful if you ever remove it for anything. Dealerships are your only hope for new (IIRC) otherwise it's from a boneyard.

Thanx

remiljr
04-29-2010, 03:44 PM
bump:
used the rest of the can of sea foam in my crank case cuz im due for a oil and filter change. Cant find on the bottle where it says how long to keep it in your crankscase before changing your oil....miles wise. Some ppl say 60-75miles.... What do you guys do? also very weird. after puttin it in the crank case and starting the car it ran realllll rough.... seemed to go away tho but wouldnt idle without pushing the gas.... IT seems like my car doesnt like the sea foam at first as i had the hesitation when i put it in the intake. only ran 2 miles with it in there so far.

Mac0083
04-29-2010, 05:55 PM
i was told or read to keep it in the oil until it gets dirty (i added sea foam to fresh oil)
you'd want to run it a bit more than 75 miles though. maybe 2 or 3 times of filling up the gas tank. that would be like 500-750 miles

these grand ams do weird things, at least mine does. but you know that sea foaming in the oil has nuthin to do with a smooth idle or hesitation.

iceman
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Always changed oil + plugs after the smoke cleared when using top end cleaner.. no issues

remiljr
05-01-2010, 01:47 AM
thanx, bout to do oil change 2 marra some time at work. at 90 miles so far. but periodic rough idle, rpms jump around so imma change plugs and wires 2. will post update on hesitation issue, changed pcv valve and elbow for hell of it but no noticable difference.

Sea Foam i will still stand by, as it makes my 140k mile car run like its brand new!

bricooper78
05-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Did you do your tuneup? I foamed mine a few days ago 1/3 1/3 1/3 and had no sort of issues, i still haven't changed plugs or done the oil change again, just at 110 miles afterwards now and mine is running MUCH better