Transmission / Motor FRONT Mount.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission / Motor FRONT Mount....

Twiztid Metal
04-17-2010, 06:38 AM
I recently had to swap out my transmission in my 2003 Grand Am. My brother did most of the work, but told me that my Fron Trans/motor mount is shot and needs to be replaced. he put the old one back on for the time being. No when i go to shift into 2nd or 3rd i get a hard THUMP/ Clunk from the front end. Now iv detemined its because of the mount.

MY question is Is the INSERT its self changable? I see that auto zone sells both the mount with insert and Insert alone.

By looking at the two it looks like it is changable but just bend "tabs" on the back side of the insert to keep it from moving....

AaronGTR
04-17-2010, 09:10 AM
There isn't really an insert. The mount is two pieces. A lower piece that bolts to the sub-frame, and an upper that bolts to the transmission. The upper has the the rubber piece in it and a bolt goes through the lower piece on either side and through the middle of the upper piece. The rubber part is molded in place in the upper and does not come out. That is the part that usually rips over time. You should be able to get the upper part by itself and that's all that would need replaced (maybe they are calling that the insert?).

KhellendrosxS
04-18-2010, 02:05 PM
If you can buy the whole thing do it. Its not worth the extra work to try and break the old 'insert' out.

Twiztid Metal
04-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Accualy it wasnt that hard at all, we got the old mount out, a few taps of the hammer and the insert came out. Put the new one back in, bent a few tabs in it with the hammer again and it was done.

But Now i got a differeant problem, i had a hard THUMP or CLUNK when ever i shifted into 2nd or 3rd gear, and it feels like its gona drop my whole trans outta my car now. any thoughts?

Bad torque converter?

Well I wouldnt say a new problem due to the mount change, but exsisting ever since we changed the transmission in the car, we thought it was the mount hitting hard, but after we changed it, felt a bit better but now its back. It wants to SLAM into 2nd and 3rd gear, and if i hold the break and put it into reverse it wants to slam into gear....

any thoughts?

Had a shop take a look at all my mounts after we changed the front thinking another one was going bad, but they all checked out fine....they didnt work on transmissions so couldnt give me a thought on the slaming into gear.

AaronGTR
04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, really hard shifts are typical when there is a problem with the MAF sensor or throttle position sensor, but if you don't have an SES light and aren't getting any codes for those, then I wouldn't think that's the problem. You haven't messed with the MAF at all have you? No "porting" or cutting the screen out or any of that nonsense?

Twiztid Metal
04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Nope, no modding anything. The trans had 62,000 MILES on it used.

I'm probly gona take it to the trans shop and have one of the guys test drive it and see what they think.