Hayden - Thermostatic Fan Control [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hayden - Thermostatic Fan Control

76TA01GAGT
04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Anyone ever use one of these?

•Premium Adjustable Fan Control With Push In Probe That Installs Cooling System. Has 1/8 Inch Mpt Probe. Includes Wire Harness And Air Conditioning Over Ride Relay. Adjustable From 160-210 Degrees F. Powers Two Fans Up To 30 Amps.
•Per Vehicle Qty 1
•UPC: 36752036516

We still havent been able to track down why the fans on my sons car wont work, the fuses are good, the fans work with direct power...... thought this might be the simplest solution when I saw it. Looking for opinions and comments, thanks!

AaronGTR
04-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Nope, I'm sure no one here has ever used that. We can program the computer to turn the low and high speed fans off and on at whatever temp we want in the stock PCM using a tuner. No need for something like that.

Did you check and see how hot the coolant is actually getting in his car? They won't turn on until a certain temp, so I'm guessing they aren't running simply because the PCM hasn't commanded them on.

350rs
04-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Nope, I'm sure no one here has ever used that. We can program the computer to turn the low and high speed fans off and on at whatever temp we want in the stock PCM using a tuner. No need for something like that.

Did you check and see how hot the coolant is actually getting in his car? They won't turn on until a certain temp, so I'm guessing they aren't running simply because the PCM hasn't commanded them on.

nice that this topic showed up as i was about to ask a similar question.. What is this programmer you speak of that lets you change the temp? id like to lower my fan temps 10 or 15 degrees. Maybe not even. But i sit in traffic a lot and anything to keep it cool is good.

AaronGTR
04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Powertuner or HP tuners will both let you change the set points for fan operation.

350rs
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
do you have a link? or just know how much it is?

i imagine its several hundred bucks and im not gonna spend that much on it. All i want is to lower the temps.

Nick-G
04-18-2010, 12:43 PM
do you have a link? or just know how much it is?

i imagine its several hundred bucks and im not gonna spend that much on it. All i want is to lower the temps.

Contact Mark at MPracing he should be able to help you out.

76TA01GAGT
04-18-2010, 04:21 PM

The reason I looked at this was because the computer will not turn the fans on, it will let it boil the coolant out the overflow if left alone. I have verified fuses and hooked up the fans to power direct and verified those work. For some reason it will not turn them on (relays? temp sensor? computer?). I saw somewhere that you could possible disconnect the compressor and they might work but we havent had a warm enough day since we did that to test it. Gettin tired of chasin this ghost.............

AaronGTR
04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
The reason I looked at this was because the computer will not turn the fans on, it will let it boil the coolant out the overflow if left alone. I have verified fuses and hooked up the fans to power direct and verified those work. For some reason it will not turn them on (relays? temp sensor? computer?). I saw somewhere that you could possible disconnect the compressor and they might work but we havent had a warm enough day since we did that to test it. Gettin tired of chasin this ghost.............

Tried replacing the pressure cap? Sure your water pump is good and the system is purged of air? No bad head gaskets or anything?

Reason I ask is, under normal operating conditions, the coolant shouldn't get hot enough to need the fans often... in other words just because the fans aren't running doesn't mean the car should over heat or the coolant should boil. And if the system isn't holding proper pressure, it will vent coolant from the overflow tank but never reach the minimum temp to turn the fans on, so the fans may still be working properly. They are unrelated and there must be some other issue with the car. Usually boiling fluid is the result of a bad pressure cap, or something else.

WidbyJ
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
OP - I use a very similar variable fan controller sold by Flex-A-Lite (I'm also running a dual slim-line fan/shroud setup they make - fits PERFECTLY). It works fine with one warning - The temp probe is most sensitive in the front half of it's length so you must be careful to not push it too far into the radiator because our radiators aren't thich enough for the whole sensor.

FYI - HPTuner will cost $500+ and is far too complex for an issue like this.

If you have tested/replaced ALL applicable fuses, relays and ECT sensor then you may well have a blown fan control circuit in the ECM which will leave the fans dead forever... Personally I hated the way my fans would both run continuously thanks to the GM supercharger program. Like other said though, if circulation is good and pressure is being held the fans should come on well before boil-over. Good Luck!