'96 mercury sable ls [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '96 mercury sable ls

young gun
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
dual overhead cam. 3.0L v6

will the engine fit in my 2000 gt? i can get one for free making my life alot easier.

DrFabulous
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
You're going to spend more money making it work than you would just buying the engine that the car came with

young gun
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
alright thanks

i_ammetal
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Besides, there are better engines to drop in...

DrFabulous
04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Besides, there are better engines to drop in...

There is very little reason to drop in anything but a 3400, ecotec or LD9 in a 5th gen GA. The amount of work it would take to get anything else to work would be better spent just building up one of those three engines.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-19-2010, 01:14 PM
There is very little reason to drop in anything but a 3400, ecotec or LD9 in a 5th gen GA. The amount of work it would take to get anything else to work would be better spent just building up one of those three engines.

Troof.

ALTHOUGH...

I will admit, I've always been intregued with the idea of an LY7 powered GA. (The 3.6L DOHC V6 from the G6 GXP) but like any motor swap involving a motor that never originally came with the chassis, there's a lot of work and troubleshooting involved.

Nab an LA1 block, and if you want more pep, do an LX9 top swap, and a tune. And since it'll be cake with the motor out of the car, swap in a cam too.

DrFabulous
04-19-2010, 01:22 PM
;1121586']Troof.

ALTHOUGH...

I will admit, I've always been intregued with the idea of an LY7 powered GA. (The 3.6L DOHC V6 from the G6 GXP) but like any motor swap involving a motor that never originally came with the chassis, there's a lot of work and troubleshooting involved.

Nab an LA1 block, and if you want more pep, do an LX9 top swap, and a tune. And since it'll be cake with the motor out of the car, swap in a cam too.

Perhaps a different 60 degree V6 might be another plausible alternative, but you would be breaking a lot of new ground. Right now, it would be easier and cheaper to build one of the three previously mentioned motors.

Buying a charcoal-colored SE with 4 cyl and a five-speed is still something I consider doing. It would be a fun car to play with.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
It would be. That's what made me think it could be a possibilty, because the LY7 and the new LLT motor are in the 60*V6 family.

But yeah, either an LD9 or L61 powered SE with a five speed would be loads of fun, especially if boost becomes involved. Nothing like a boosted underdog.

They will be all,
"lulz a Grand Am,"

You'll be all,
"lulz boost,"

lol