What machine works best in winter storage [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What machine works best in winter storage

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
04-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I may be storing my vehicle back to cold BUT very dry storage with concrete floors and boards under the tires. Now the front end will be within inches of the bay door, but does not appear any water ever gets in.

How much air gets in under it ???
I have been using it for storage of many other things and collectibles with no ill affect.
QUESTION: where it will no longer be parking in under ground apartment parking building, where there was more air movement and some regulation of heat and cold etc.

With new storage spot , I do periodically go there once a month or more. I can put battery in each time ( use to leave it in with negative cable detached - no longer ) , turn car over for a while , run heat and AC etc to maintain them.

Hope fully it will be easy to pull car out and back in so tires don't seat in same spot each time. Super tight fit width and lenght wise, and only be able to get to drivers side, battery area and rear which will face the door. All things I have been doing for years with this car and my NOW SOLD jeep CJ-7.

What machine can I buy that I can plug into the ceiling light socket ( got adaptor for the plug in ) to best replicate the condition it use to be stored in. The machine would need to be REALLY SAFE and be able to be left 6 months of the year in winter. I was told for safety and that lenght of use to make sure it has circuit protect etc etc.

Now my neighbor very mechanicially inclibed said get a power bar with circuit protection and a dehumidifier. He has seen the storage and things it is dry enough etc that I really don't need a dehumidifier.

BUT if I don't do this right I have to pay someone to work on my car to repair things , as aposed to my Jeep I could do everything on that and much cheaper / easier then working on a Grand Am. Jeep was stored there for 4 to 5 years nothing noticeable went wrong NOT even fine rust on rotor surfaces etc. But it was much higher up if their was any air movement in the storage unit.

AaronGTR
04-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Uh, you don't need a dehumidifier. The car is built to be in weather.... it doesn't care what the humidity is. If you want to keep the interior fresh, get some dry packs. You bake 'em in the oven to remove moisture then put them inside your car when you store it, and they will keep it dry inside to keep mildew from growing. If there is an outlet (or a light socket you can put an outlet converter in), I'd leave the battery in the car and get a battery tender to hook up to it. That way you don't need to mess with taking it in and out, messing with cables, etc etc.... just plug it in and leave it connected to the car. The battery tender is very safe and uses very little power. You can leave it on it's own practically forever. Inflate your tires to max pressure after it's in the storage space and they are cool... maybe over inflate them a little since the air will shrink a little when it gets really cold. With enough air pressure in them you should be able to park the car for 4-6 months and not need to move it at all, and it will be fine when you start driving it again. I've done this plenty of times.